New guy needs some help...

Wglwrm

First post here... My doc said I needed to find a hobby to help with my ptsd, military, so I went and picked up a detector from the local pawn shop. First trip out got enough nails to build my dream broom closet. Then figuring it was just another nail, I find a button. Can anyone help date this?

Attachments

• 20180918_100916.jpg
    20180918_100916.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 1538082222995-198036280.jpg
    1538082222995-198036280.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 302
can't help with the button, but someone on will lol. good luck welcome to the forum happy hunting. hope the hobby helps you. it sure helps me. what kind of detector did you get?

Can we get clearer pics of both sides? Any writing on the back? Looks military to me. Most guys would be ecstatic to find one of those (including me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a button expert but looks like civil war to Spanish American war era. Hope detecting helps your situation, it helps me with civilian stress situations. Congrats on the button, thank you for your service and happy hunting, may you find great things!

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Clearer pics could help, maybe you had your camera just a little to close to focus ?

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

First post here... My doc said I needed to find a hobby to help with my ptsd, military, so I went and picked up a detector from the local pawn shop. First trip out got enough nails to build my dream broom closet. Then figuring it was just another nail, I find a button. Can anyone help date this?
The reason I got into detecting was because of PTSD from Afghanistan. My best friend from the Marines lives 40 minutes away. He lent me his ACE 150, and I was immediately hooked. It really does help to level you out. Focusing on the tones really helps with blocking out unwanted memories. I get into a zen like state when I am detecting. The button is likely from a Union civil war uniform.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin. So far, I'd say you have a good doctor, picked a good hobby and a good website, have a detector that works, and found a cool old military button!
Better photos will go a long way for getting things identified. Also, if you use a decent magnifying lens with lighting, can you read what it says on the back of the button?

Thanx, you guys, for your service to our country. If you were ever in my neck of the woods, you'd have carte-blanche to any site of mine or tip of mine.

Thank you all for the support. When I was in Iraq I watched some engineers got out with their detectors... Then I saw the look on their faces after the beep beep, squawk squawk... Yeah not good. So when your detector goes beep beep, squawk squawk... Please remember those guys. The rust old nail ain't so bad after all. Rip...
So on the back of my button I can make out "SCOVILL MFG". That's all I can make out...

Attachments

• 20180927_194319.jpg
    20180927_194319.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 223
Sorry, I'm not any good at IDing buttons, but...

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us, we're glad to have you. :D

P.S. Thank you for your service to our country. :grin:

Waterbury Ct. The brass city is the home of Scovill. I'm sitting here as I write. From here and the small surrounding towns. I've dug a few old buttons. One flat button from late 1700's to 1830's . My best.
Big thanks for your service!!! Old general rule is " Where there's buttons there's coins" and should be from the same era/times dates. Hit er hard!

Back
Top Bottom