Tried somthing different

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Went out and notched out everything I could except nickel and foil, and dimes and up..Wanted to find gold, tired of coins.I figured if I'm digging might as well be junk or gold.Ive read most gold rings fall in foil and nickel so that's what I ran the f75 on.
I was getting massive coin hits tho, like two every swing, killed me not to dig them but I didn't.
No gold but tons of foil, beavertails, pulltabs, ketchup singles,,a nickel and a pair of earings..All in all I was pretty glad I started this and will continue until I get a gold ring.Sorry for the junk pic guys, wasnt a productive day.

Attachments

• IMG_3351~4.jpg
    IMG_3351~4.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 449
So, I've hat this deep desire as well. However when I get to my spot, and I envision those results, I quickly revert back to old coins.

So, I've hat this deep desire as well. However when I get to my spot, and I envision those results, I quickly revert back to old coins.

Lol, I hear ya.the earings made my day tho, even if junk I would have never dug them if I was after coins..who knows, next hunt may be gold.:laughing:

Man on a mission. Cant say I dont blame you, but it definitely is an exercise of patience.

I found a youtube vid that a guy put together for finding gold rings with the Minelab 705. He notched out everything except the VDIs from 6 to 18 (which are only even numbers on the 705), so basically its just 7 active notches. He tweaked the ground balance to offset the 14 since thats where pulltabs generally ring up. What I found most impressive were the 7 healthy bags of gold rings he had marked with each notch number.

I never set up my 705 that way, but it made me REALLY pay close attention when those numbers would ring up solid. Found a nice little 10K with 14K black hills gold cluster on a football field that rang up a 6. Something I would have ignored in the past. I wish I could find a similar vid for the 800.

Have fun, and best of luck!

One word...NO!:lol: But I appreciate a guy who has that in him...
When I go COIN hunting, it’s about digging ONLY coins. This “gold hoping” thing is the exact opposite...which requires WAY more luck than talent or skill, even at the beach! There’s no “signal ramp” or “round sound” or “peak” in the signals...it’s all based on HOPE. I am a man who has hope...just not quite that much.;)
I don’t mind finding the very occasional gold item, but that’s only when I hunt nickels, and I almost NEVER hunt nickels. When someone figures out the key to gold, don’t hold back! I would totally be on board...but for now, it’s just too damn much work in trashed out parks and schools.
I’d be interested to know how big that trash pile needs to get to achieve the objective Wood! Keep it going!:yes:

While your a guy Pete in this hobby I hold respect in the highest regard. There be no way I would follow your lead. Just isn't on the menu for me. Good luck on a huge challenge and I hope you find the Gold your after a lot sooner than later. I just don't like the meal on your paper plate. Trapper

I just don't like the meal on your paper plate. Trapper

Hah, great comment Trapper, I burst into laughter reading that! :lol: I've thought about chasing gold but realize a ton of non edible metal items would be found to have any chance at some dirt found gold. Now certain beaches... you bet I could chase gold!

If you're finding a lot of beaver tails then there's a good chance gold may still be at that site. Remember big gold can ring up like a zinc penny, yay... Good luck on your quest!!

M...
I found a youtube vid that a guy put together for finding gold rings with the Minelab 705. He notched out everything except the VDIs from 6 to 18.....!

If you do this then you will have to slow your swing speed to a craw or you will miss a lot.

In 37 years of detecting I've dug 3 gold rings and one gold coin. They were a by product of COIN HUNTING. I ignore zinc and the pulltab signals that are lower or higher than nickel signals, but still get a few. If I had to dig a few thousand pulltabs or other junk to get a gold ring, to me I'd rather miss the ring and not have to spend my whole time digging junk. When I was in my 30's I dug mostly everything but those days are LONG over.:oldguy:

Went out and notched out everything I could except nickel and foil, and dimes and up..Wanted to find gold, tired of coins.I figured if I'm digging might as well be junk or gold.Ive read most gold rings fall in foil and nickel so that's what I ran the f75 on.
I was getting massive coin hits tho, like two every swing, killed me not to dig them but I didn't.
No gold but tons of foil, beavertails, pulltabs, ketchup singles,,a nickel and a pair of earings..All in all I was pretty glad I started this and will continue until I get a gold ring.Sorry for the junk pic guys, wasnt a productive day.

wood-butcher, liked your post. And the resulting replies .

Your "noble effort" reminds me of the way-back-when initial efforts, back-when TID was first introduced. Ie.: 1983-84-ish. There were *no shortage* of md'rs who saw (like you) that *certain* gold rings and *certain* recurring foil/tab items were *distinctly* different.

So they programmed their machines (or "watched the cursor/needles") and thought they were going to dig gold rings till their arms fell off. Imagine their surprise, when they got out to the nearest blighted park to try-the-programs. Only to discover that there is scores of aluminum junk (especially can-slaw) that reads exactly like scores of gold rings. Doh ! :roll:

And if you read anything/anyone who says that gold "sounds different" or "reads different", or that they have a machine/model that can-show-the-difference", here's how you solve that :

You merely take them out to the nearest blighted inner-city park, and turn them loose. Guess what you will hear ? : The sound of crickets.

Thus, the "trick" to finding gold rings is not trying to discern some-supposed gold vs aluminum trick on metal detectors. The "trick" is to choose better locations , where the odds don't kill you.

Ie.: Touristy swim beaches (better odds at gold jewelry) vs. junky blighted parks (better odds at aluminum nuggets)

I say keep trying it. Persistence pays off sometimes.

If nothing else, you'll end up with the largest collection of foil and pull tabs in the history of detecting, lol.

If nothing else, you'll end up with the largest collection of foil and pull tabs in the history of detecting, lol.

Wow, ....

Or ... you can plan your strategy and sites and methods to find cool stuff. I dunno why, but I don't consider "the largest collection of foil and pull tabs" to be "cool stuff".

I realize you're just jesting with us. But ... on the other hand, there's this "dig pulltabs till your arms fall-off, lest you miss a gold ring", that seems-to-follow from the addage. When, in fact, .... it's hardly the recipe for finding gold rings.

Back
Top Bottom