Michigan state park detecting

Splendid. Then when/if you saw no prohibitions, then : You would conclude that it is therefore not disallowed.
But that's not how it happened. Like I stated...I know there are restrictions in pretty much all other "Gov recreation facilities" in my area, so I had every reason to believe that the same would hold for the City Parks as well. As such, I had not concluded "that it is therefore not disallowed" until I stopped and asked. Which, in your opinion, was too late...because by asking, I had already unleashed the pencil pushing bureaucrat on to an unsuspecting public!! Oh the humanity.

Curious why you would suggest that ? If, as-is-the-case: You can detect here till you're blue-in-the-face, then .... why would someone want to go "challenge" this rogue/ fluke "no" answer ? The only thing that might result in, is: Someone making a "pressing decision" to this "pressing question", and inventing a new-policy going-forward. Why swat hornet's nests ? :?:
Because, as I stated, the person was told no and then detected anyway, thus receiving some sort of "citation" from LEO. Rather than face a life sentence in San Quentin, I suggested that they then challenge the "citation" in a Court of Law, which would then set precedent. If it's not illegal and is therefore allowed, this would become case law and never again would someone have to suffer at the hands of the a fore mention "pencil pusher" who told them "No" to begin with.
I thought I was clear about this...but yet you always seem to ask "why" I suggest something, then go off on one of your rants. I suspect it's because you wanted to go off on your rant regardless, and the only way to do that is to act as if I say something that I do not, in fact, say.

Because, as I stated, the person was told no and then detected anyway, thus receiving some sort of "citation" from LEO. Rather than face a life sentence in San Quentin, I suggested that they then challenge the "citation" in a Court of Law, which would then set precedent......

Flies-only, there's multiple things at-play here. And ... to answer you, is not a "rant". It's to answer . Not sure how that qualifies as a "rant", any-more-so than you posting is a "rant" . I mean ... isn't the purpose of hobbyist forums , like this, to get inputs, pro's /con's, etc... ? Hence no need to get "testy" here.

Ok : If someone has received an actual ticket, then .... sure ... "challenge it in court". It thought you were saying to take any random "scram" or "stinkeye" and go "challenge it in court". Forgive my mis-understanding.

But ... sure ...: I have heard of a case where someone got a ticket (in the city of San Francisco city parks). He took his piddly $90 ticket (for 'defacing' ?) to the appeals. It was sort of like a traffic ticket, where he waited in the "cattle call" lineup , on the appointed day. When his turn came, he got about 15 seconds into his planned explanation (ie.: "I was doing no harm, I dunno what this is all about, I was only metal detecting...." etc... ). But before he could even finish, the judge banged the gavel and said "dismissed". haha. So the fellow xeroxed off the rubber stamped "dismissed" paperwork, and passed it out to some friends. For if any busy-body ever said anything to them in that city. To my knowledge though, that never happened.

On the other hand, I also heard of another fellow who got a ticket , for state property (it was a known sensitive historic monument). But he wasn't actually detecting. He'd only been on nearby PRIVATE land, but was taking a shortcut, back to his vehicle, across the state park monument area, with the detector slung over his shoulder.

He tried to explain to the ranger, but .... to no avail. Later, he received his ticket in the mail. It was something on the order of $150 ish (?). Since he lived several hours away, it simply wasn't worth his time to take time off work and fight it. So he just paid it. And actually got a good laugh out of it thinking: If this is all I ever had to pay, for all the places I've hunted and things I've found, then so-be-it, haha.

But ... anyhow, Now I understand that you meant: An actual ticket. Not just isolated scrams.

And back to the original conversation : All laws and rules are printed/known somewhere. They can be looked up. There's no "secret rules" or "secret laws". And the trouble with asking someone "Can I metal detect?", is it risks that someone potentially answers "no", on some silly arbitrary basis, that has no bearing on actual practical application.

Back
Top Bottom