Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Elite Member

Default Havenít had such a good day in a while!

I finally had a day off school today, so I did my research and came up with the plan to hunt a few curb strips on the way to an old house site, before finishing the day off at an old park Iíve been to a few times before. The forecast was rather disappointing; 100% chance of rain and only 17ļC (62F), but that wasnít going to stop me.

The first target for the day was a 1952 halfpenny followed by a 1913 halfpenny on the same verge. More than two hours passed until I found my next old coin, half of that time I spent under trees waiting for it to stop raining, but I still managed a few dollars in modern coins.

The next old coin was also my first silver for the day, namely a 1902 English sixpence. On the same verge I also found a 1951 penny. Shortly afterwards I arrived at the site and noticed how overgrown it was, quite surprising as the house had only been recently demolished. There were plenty of high tone targets around, so it probably hadnít been detected before. 20 minutes into the hunt I get a solid 12:45 on the CTX, at a depth of 5cm, so I was really hoping itíd be a silver coin. I scrape away the top layer of soil, and there it was, a silver rim. Turned out to be a 1916 shilling, I was quite happy to have found it, as I donít often find these earlier shillings. I got a bit carried away with trying to make out details on the coin, and before I knew it, it started pouring down with rain. Thankfully there was a bus stop shelter nearby, and I got there just in time so I wasn't entirely drenched!

15 minutes, and a well deserved lunch later, I was back on the site. The weeds were now quite wet, so it didnít take long until my shoes were soaked. I had almost finished gridding the site, when I got a 12:36/37 on the CTX. Turned out to be a bent piece of brass - or so I thought. I was about to throw it to my other junk, when I saw some patterns on it. Upon closer inspection, I found out it was a rising sun hat badge! Itís a little bit bent, but I donít care, itís my first and itís been on my bucket list for a long time now, so I was super thrilled to have found it. These badges were worn by Australian soldiers in both World Wars. I found another halfpenny at this site, and I had more or less covered the site (was only a small house) so I moved on, to a park Iíve been to a few times in the past.

The first good signal was a 1951 threepence (Iím cherry-picking the best signal). Over the next two hours, I dug quite a few pennies and halfpennies, another silver threepence (1899) and an old ďWestern Australia Police ForceĒ button. It was almost time to head home, but I had noticed another verge beside the park which I wanted to quickly go over. I walked over there, turned the detector on and noticed how chattery the detector became (probably from nearby interference). On my second swing, I got a 12:45 at 5cm right next to the path. Thinking back to how earlier in the day the same signal was a shilling, I thought to myself ďno way this is another shillingĒ. And sure enough, it was another shilling, 1922! I havenít found an early Australian shilling in nearly two years, and now Iíve found two on the same day! Needless to say, I was stoked!

Overall, I had an awesome day! Found 15 old coins, the rising sun badge, a police officerís button and $18.73 in change!

Ty for looking, if youíre still reading here, thanks for bearing with me, I know itís a rather long post, but these days donít happen often. Good luck out there!
Attached Images

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1544.20AUD (552x$2, 291x$1, 90x50c, 229x20c, 290x10c, 392x5c, 280x2c, 420x1c) and 168 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Last edited by sandgroper; 06-13-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Supporter

Great Hunt and Post! We like the details of a hunt as you have so eloquently written...Its as if we were there with you!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

It does sound like an Awesome Day you had there Sandgroper.. It is days like this that keep you coming back again and again.

Congratulations !!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Supporter

Smile

Congrats on a great hunt.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Supporter

Wow! That's great hunt. Congrats.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Supporter

Man those coins look fantastic! Congrats, looks like an awesome day for sure!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $138.36 ($779.86), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 15 (44), Gold: 5 (23), .925 5 (54), Rings: 30 (170), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 06-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Supporter

Wow, great looking coins! Here in Montana I find a few early Canadian Large cents, once in a while a silver Half Dime with that old King image, your Aussie stuff looks really cool!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the vintage silvers, crossing the hat badge off your bucket list, and the rest of the day's digs...excellent hunt!

Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Elite Member

Awesome assortment of finds right there mate!

Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Elite Member

I like the coins with the kangaroos on them.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Great Hunt and Post! We like the details of a hunt as you have so eloquently written...Its as if we were there with you!
Thanks Mud! Glad you liked it

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
It does sound like an Awesome Day you had there Sandgroper.. It is days like this that keep you coming back again and again.

Congratulations !!
Thank you! Hoping to get back out there soon

Originally Posted by bubbaron View post
Congrats on a great hunt.
Thanks bubbaron!

Originally Posted by jwp1964 View post
Wow! That's great hunt. Congrats.
Thanks mate!

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Man those coins look fantastic! Congrats, looks like an awesome day for sure!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
Wow, great looking coins! Here in Montana I find a few early Canadian Large cents, once in a while a silver Half Dime with that old King image, your Aussie stuff looks really cool!
Thank you! Yes that's King George V, I've noticed too that Canadian and Australian coins are similar in some ways.

Originally Posted by Captain Silver View post
Congrats on the vintage silvers, crossing the hat badge off your bucket list, and the rest of the day's digs...excellent hunt!
Thanks Cptn!

Originally Posted by matmit View post
Awesome assortment of finds right there mate!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by kingman mikey View post
I like the coins with the kangaroos on them.
Thanks! Those with the single kangaroo on them are the later pennies and halfpennies.

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1544.20AUD (552x$2, 291x$1, 90x50c, 229x20c, 290x10c, 392x5c, 280x2c, 420x1c) and 168 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"