Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 06-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Supporter

Default Awesome Cheap Floating Sifter

Just ran across this gem at Walmart. Mesh bottom, no metal, inflatable, super light, cup holders, and material feels super durable. Best part was the price, $4.98. This is definitely replacing my homemade PVC poop noodle Sifter, simply for the pack weight and ability to deflate it when finished.

Edit:. Won't let me upload pics from my phone, here is the Walmart link. https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZARK-TRA...FLOAT/55350491

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Supporter

Chris if that is just inflatable tube I wouldn't suggest it as a sifter. 1 small slip with the scoop and it's a goner.
Photo of sifter weighs about 1lb, shoulder strap/tow line. I put a screen in for this particular beach as earring are common. Total cost $5
Bread tray from the bakery, shoe laces (not zip ties), pool noodles
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Edit:. Won't let me upload pics from my phone, here is the Walmart link. https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZARK-TRA...FLOAT/55350491
Here's the pic for you...
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Supporter

lol is it just me or is this guy holding up the fully loaded cooler, stopping it from sinking

Not a bad idea for a casual sifter that doesn't want to lug another piece of equipment - I like the deflate and store idea too. But not too hopeful on the durability.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Steve View post
shoe laces (not zip ties),
Thats a good tip there Steve!...As great as they are, those zip ties can cut or scratch a softened up water soaked hand easily when a guy is rifling through the tray for a find...no matter how tough a guys hands are, one little scratch in bad water and a guy could have trouble....plus, you never know when you might need a length of cordage for something...Good tip!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Steve View post
Chris if that is just inflatable tube I wouldn't suggest it as a sifter. 1 small slip with the scoop and it's a goner.
Photo of sifter weighs about 1lb, shoulder strap/tow line. I put a screen in for this particular beach as earring are common. Total cost $5
Bread tray from the bakery, shoe laces (not zip ties), pool noodles
I have the homemade sifter knocked out already, but it can be a pain on the hike to some of the beaches I hit up.

It's inflatable but not the same material as pool tubes. It feels like the same material as my zodiac, so I'm guessing it can take a solid hit and be fine, but time will tell. The mesh is the same material that is in the bottom of my Relic Elite pouch, and I've been beating that up for years now.

But time will tell, I'll have about 50 hours with it in the next week and a half, I'll report back. I'll intentionally whack it around with the scoop to see how it holds up.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

Just ran across this gem at Walmart. Mesh bottom, no metal, inflatable, super light, cup holders, and material feels super durable. Best part was the price, $4.98. This is definitely replacing my homemade PVC poop noodle Sifter. https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZARK-TRA...FLOAT/55350491
Poop noodle sifters are not for the faint of heart...

IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 3, Gold: 1

Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Poop noodle sifters are not for the faint of heart...
Hahahahaha, well played Sir. You're right, they don't hold up well.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Elite Member

Talking Chris

Cmon buddy , you can do better than that :lau ghing:
Attached Images

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, XP Deus , F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Supporter

I have the homemade sifter knocked out already, but it can be a pain on the hike to some of the beaches I hit up.

It's inflatable but not the same material as pool tubes. It feels like the same material as my zodiac, so I'm guessing it can take a solid hit and be fine, but time will tell. The mesh is the same material that is in the bottom of my Relic Elite pouch, and I've been beating that up for years now.

But time will tell, I'll have about 50 hours with it in the next week and a half, I'll report back. I'll intentionally whack it around with the scoop to see how it holds up.
I often have to take mine on the bus or subway. I use the tow rope as a shoulder strap and carry it like I would a laptop.
Good luck with the sifter... hopefully a photo or 2 with some gold in it soon

Old 06-12-2018, 11:26 PM

I am making one out of a 5 gallon bucket and pool noodles.

Is there any other way to make one?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 PM
OldCherryPicker

Just ran across this gem at Walmart. Mesh bottom, no metal, inflatable, super light, cup holders, and material feels super durable. Best part was the price, $4.98. This is definitely replacing my homemade PVC poop noodle Sifter, simply for the pack weight and ability to deflate it when finished.

I think Matthew Tomaini son uses something similar. I think it's a great idea, not for the long run but a quick carry to.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM
OldCherryPicker

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
What a monster Earl! 50 pounds of gold would not sink that baby!!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
Hahaha, I was actually looking at them at Walmart wondering if anyone ever made a sifter out of them. Now I can quit wondering.

Originally Posted by OBN View post
I think Matthew Tomaini son uses something similar. I think it's a great idea, not for the long run but a quick carry to.
Yep, Walmart had that green one on sale for $3. The only thing I could tell that was different is the red one had something on the box saying it was built with some stronger material, otherwise besides the price and color they looked the same.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Supporter

I took it out once for a couple hours, worked well.

Material feels really solid until it gets out in the sun, and then it feels really soft and melty, kind of flimsy'ish. I beat it up with the scoop a bit (it's a Quest Scoopal, kind of on the sharp side), and it held up to it.

I do think I like my Octagon PVC sifter better though.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Post boat fenders

On sale at Bass pro , starts Friday Star Spangled Summer Sale- Fender kit 39.97 for 4 Chris , Blue or White options , i would choose dark blue . OBN i would pick up a set of 4 for your boat , happy hunting guy's , Ps only 2 needed for a sifter , and you can put your scoop on top of it if your arm needs a break, Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, XP Deus , F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Last edited by Surf Master; 06-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.