Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by metalwrkr View post
Hey usmceng1, I liked your idea of a T handle so much that I welded one up in the shop. First one so it is a little rough. The blade is made of 420c steel which I intend to lightly harden (dont want it too hard and brittle). Great Idea. I briefly considered putting a pivoting handle on it like on a rotohammer but it works so well like it is I don't think it needs any gimicks. Thanks for the idea........................metalwrkr
That's a cool tool. Did you make of just modify an original digger?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM

I really like the PVC mod. Nice, simple, practical, and clearly effective. Will likely give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
Rich

Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM

Smile

I know this is a 7yr old thread but I wanted to post an update on the T handles. The last couple years I havent detected much. I just started again this year but during the years that I was detecting I really gave both of them alot of dig time. I used the lesche the most, but I also used the gator. Both have stood up to some tough digging and have never failed. Hope this can help some new detectorists that have never seen this post before improve already awsome digging tools.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Supporter

Hey thanks for the update. I must say, I am impressed. When I read the first post, I thought PVC? Glue? Tape? Good idea, but this thing will fall apart by the end of the season for sure! ...but Still solid? Very nice! Even if ya have to redo it every few years, that wouldn't be bad. Plenty of variations to this mod are possible. I'll be considering this as I'm wearing out the grip on my WHite's Digmaster.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jasper1911 View post
I just epoxied and taped a rare-earth magnet to the end of the handle on mine. Figured it'd be easier dragging the nails and caps out. We'll see how it works.
I like this idea.
How did it work?

Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Hey thanks for the update. I must say, I am impressed. When I read the first post, I thought PVC? Glue? Tape? Good idea, but this thing will fall apart by the end of the season for sure! ...but Still solid? Very nice! Even if ya have to redo it every few years, that wouldn't be bad. Plenty of variations to this mod are possible. I'll be considering this as I'm wearing out the grip on my WHite's Digmaster.
I didn't think it would last as long as it did, but they have withstood some tough digging and never failed. Digging is alot easier due to pushing down on the T handle and using your palm to pry the plug. Im sure they're not indestructible but they can take a beating. Also its an inexpensive mod. A forum member Buzz Wilson also makes the T handle out of metal. I have one of his double serated edged t handle leche digger which he made for me. His model is a beast because its dual sided and the T is welded on the lesche.

Last edited by usmceng1; 06-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.