Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2018, 03:47 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 750
Default Nox depth?

So what sort of depth are folk getting in dirt, i'm finding it quite average.
Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 06-13-2018, 06:16 AM
adamBomb's Avatar
adamBomb adamBomb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 436
Default

Originally Posted by ghound View post
So what sort of depth are folk getting in dirt, i'm finding it quite average.
What kind of dirt? Are you using a test garden? Eyeballing it? When you say average, compared to what? Are there targets another machine hit in the ground that the nox didnt see?

__________________
Nox 600, CTX, CZ21, Excalibur II, Whites DF Pi Pro, and 920i stealth scoop.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 750
Default

My ground varies but mostly quite mineralised, it will fill the mineral scale on the Deus in places.
In my test garden it gets a small (dime size) silver hammered penny at 6"-7", larger coins to about 9".

Originally Posted by adamBomb View post
What kind of dirt? Are you using a test garden? Eyeballing it? When you say average, compared to what? Are there targets another machine hit in the ground that the nox didnt see?
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 AM
5 mile's Avatar
5 mile 5 mile is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 1,391
Default

I purposely buried a silver dime just to the point of barely detectable, to set up a program on my Deus to hit it. It was buried at 11 inches.

2 years later it must have settled a bit and the Deus couldn't hit on it anymore.

When I got my 800, I thought, this is a good test. The NOX not only found it, but it was repeatable. Granted it wasn't a screaming signal but a silver dime at 11+ inches is what I observed in my mild soil.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 AM
BufordCityDawg's Avatar
BufordCityDawg BufordCityDawg is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buford, Ga.
Posts: 1,388
Default

Georgia red clay I can hit a dime at 8". 10" it will hit but just barely. This is with sensitivity at 20. I could probably do better with higher sense but power lines limit me.

BCD

__________________
Metal Detecting, the worlds longest running game of hide and go seek.
Equipment: Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
YTD Totals= (2018) Clad=17.72 Gold=1 Silver=0 925=2 Relics=0 Oldest Coin = 1891 IHP


Last edited by BufordCityDawg; 06-13-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:27 AM
ohiochris's Avatar
ohiochris ohiochris is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Findlay , Ohio
Posts: 6,113
Default

Mine hits dimes at 8 inches and quarters at 10+ , so no complaints here.


Dont forget . you can tweak those settings and squeak more depth out of them than the factory settings.

I know many say you dont need to ground balance , in some places you might get a little extra depth by leaving it at zero or running it with negative bias but Ive been getting better depth and accuracy when properly ground balanced.

If you call the depth " average " then you are doing it wrong

Experiment with it , find what works better....

__________________
Garrett AT pro , Minelab Equinox 600

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 AM
staffydog33's Avatar
staffydog33 staffydog33 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by 5 mile View post
I purposely buried a silver dime just to the point of barely detectable, to set up a program on my Deus to hit it. It was buried at 11 inches.

2 years later it must have settled a bit and the Deus couldn't hit on it anymore.

When I got my 800, I thought, this is a good test. The NOX not only found it, but it was repeatable. Granted it wasn't a screaming signal but a silver dime at 11+ inches is what I observed in my mild soil.
Impressive!

Matt.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 AM
staffydog33's Avatar
staffydog33 staffydog33 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Default

Im getting insane deprh here in the UK on the beaches and fields.

Regularly digging coins etc 10", 12" and more.

Matt

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM
ynnek4's Avatar
ynnek4 ynnek4 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 238
Default

When I had mine it tested just as good or better than my stock CTX.

__________________
XP Deus 11
XP Deus 9 HF
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #10  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
detectorben's Avatar
detectorben detectorben is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 432
Default

Originally Posted by ynnek4 View post
When I had mine it tested just as good or better than my stock CTX.
Same here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 750
Default

On a freshly cut grass field this morning, on what i would consider nice soil, i freshly buried a few coins.
It GB'd 4 in field 1, recovery 4, iron bias 3, sensitivity 23.
On a dime sized hammered silver that reads 11 in air, it got it ok at 6", but at 7" you would probably walk past, mostly ID at 8.
Tried a large silver hammered, reads 18 in air, just about got it at 8", ID was jumping all round.

Dropping recovery speed below 4 is horrible, everything just seems slow and lagging, and very little gain in depth.
I'm not complaining about the depth, i bought it for finding small stuff shallow, but its still good to know it's limits.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM
detectorben's Avatar
detectorben detectorben is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 432
Default

Originally Posted by ghound View post
On a freshly cut grass field this morning, on what i would consider nice soil, i freshly buried a few coins.
It GB'd 4 in field 1, recovery 4, iron bias 3, sensitivity 23.
On a dime sized hammered silver that reads 11 in air, it got it ok at 6", but at 7" you would probably walk past, mostly ID at 8.
Tried a large silver hammered, reads 18 in air, just about got it at 8", ID was jumping all round.

Dropping recovery speed below 4 is horrible, everything just seems slow and lagging, and very little gain in depth.
I'm not complaining about the depth, i bought it for finding small stuff shallow, but its still good to know it's limits.
Freshly buried coin tests are basically worthless to be honest. About as useful as air tests. They give a general idea of machines abilities but results on old targets in wild will be way different. Sometimes much better sometimes much worse. There are just too many variables.

It took about a year of being buried at 6 inches for any of my detectors including at pro and etrac to give any signal on coins buried in my test garden. I still dont get solid signals on them even with my ctx or nox. Yet I have found many wheats and silvers at 8-10 inches at my local parks with etrac, nox, and ctx.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:49 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 750
Default

Yes and no, if you detect parks or old lawns that have been there for decades, then yes, and a person may be used to the target response.
But in the UK much of the detecting is done on farm land that's ploughed and turned over yearly, this means that 100% of the targets on these grounds are freshly buried.
Remember that the Equinox landed at Detectival which was held on stubble fields, again 100% freshly buried targets, yet there was videos going about where the Nox was getting great depth there.



Originally Posted by detectorben View post
Freshly buried coin tests are basically worthless to be honest. About as useful as air tests. They give a general idea of machines abilities but results on old targets in wild will be way different. Sometimes much better sometimes much worse. There are just too many variables.

It took about a year of being buried at 6 inches for any of my detectors including at pro and etrac to give any signal on coins buried in my test garden. I still dont get solid signals on them even with my ctx or nox. Yet I have found many wheats and silvers at 8-10 inches at my local parks with etrac, nox, and ctx.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Trashfinder's Avatar
Trashfinder Trashfinder is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 883
Default

I have gotten dimes at 8 plus inches, a screw cap at 13. It is as good in my soil as my deus which had been my deepest machine to date and i have used almost everything made.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:50 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 750
Default

I'd say it's about the same as the Deus in my soil as well.

Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
I have gotten dimes at 8 plus inches, a screw cap at 13. It is as good in my soil as my deus which had been my deepest machine to date and i have used almost everything made.
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM
staffydog33's Avatar
staffydog33 staffydog33 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Default

The machine, for me anyway, truly and absolutely astounds me in it's sheer awesomeness with regards to seperation and recovery speed on a trashy beach.

The amount of coins I've dug mixed with rusty iron etc is amazing.

Matt.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #17  
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM
staffydog33's Avatar
staffydog33 staffydog33 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Default

Im in UK and i will try do a quick depth test in my back garden on some freshly dropped silver.

I will whack on Youtooob

Matt.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM
AIRFORCEMIKE's Avatar
AIRFORCEMIKE AIRFORCEMIKE is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: EARTH
Posts: 4,360
Default

Crazy deep..8-9 inch dimes minimum...very impressive


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
MINELAB CTX 3030 , EQUINOX 800-X2

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 PM
TabZilla's Avatar
TabZilla TabZilla is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 453
Default

They must be reallllyyyyy deep!

I dug a 8"ish deep wheat cent with my MMKRUZER the other day and right as I was grabbing the coin a gent from Australia popped through the bottom with his EQX and took it from me! I didn't argue with him because he put a lot more work in it than me!

__________________
Beep-beep-b-beep-beep--gold ring


Last edited by TabZilla; 06-14-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM
staffydog33's Avatar
staffydog33 staffydog33 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by TabZilla View post
They must be reallllyyyyy deep!

I dug a 8"ish deep wheat cent the other day with my MMKRUZER the other day and right as I was grabbing the coin a gent from Australia popped through the bottom with his EQX and took it from me! I didn't argue with him because he put a lot more work in it than me!
lol

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.