Silver #9, Sterling 8.5, AND possible first LC!?

jwp1964

Forum Supporter
Got out for two hours after my turkey hunters tagged out last night. Hit my current go to spot and finally found the older stuff. First was Sterlig 8.5...the cross is very heavy and looks great BUT "Sterling Filled".

I got 4 wheats back to 1917 and started thinking there has to be a silver here and 5 minutes later I hit the 1935 GW for silver #9 on the year. a few minutes later I got the old junk ring and the silver-plated heart pendant at about 8".

The most interesting find came when I thought I was digging a deep wheat. At about 9" I pulled a large copper disc that looks and feels like a coin. It is completely toasted, but I can see writing along part of the edge (between 10 and 11 o'clock position in first photo). I'm hoping it maybe the first Large cent I've ever found. It could also be an old English Penny given the size. Going to have to see if I can get more details.

Also got $3.71 in clad putting me just shy of $150 for the year. Going to really work the place over with larger coil after next rain. All old coins were at least 7" deep. Beautiful evening hunt.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Congrats on the silver good hunt! Large coppers are notorious for being toasty...its a hit or miss and a lot of times cleaning them takes whatever detail it has left, right off of it. Either way its 1700's-1800's unless its a Canadian large cent. Great finds!

Back
Top Bottom