It's GOLDEN to be back in the STATES. England finds.

Dr.Tones

Hey guys! sorry it's been a while. Me, Dirt Digler and Pickhead just got back from two weeks of detecting in England. Let me tell you, I had a few items that I was dying to return home with. Number one on my list was a Celtic gold stater. One of our buddies Terry popped one on day two. I realized the rarity of finding one and at that very moment I just knew how much my odds decreased. Happy for Terry we all went on hunting and hoping. A few days later after finding several Hammered coins, Romans, Saxon, Norman and Viking artifacts, I got over my dream find. A full gold Celtic stater from the Iceni tribe circa 20 BC! Dream come true! Still can't believe it! Still waiting to hear back from the museum about one artifact in particular. It appears to be a Norman era Mount of some sort. With intricate designs and enameling (or stones) inlayed. Trip of a lifetime! Of course we got it on film... duh! Can't wait to share the footage! Cheers! HH!

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 605
ah i was curious what that "artifact" was. Cool! Are they keeping it permanently or sending it back once IDed? As I've said before, beautiful coin.

Wow a dream find and hunt for sure. Congrats.
I hope to be able to travel over there and hunt one day. By the time I will be able to nothing will be left for me to find. Lol

ah i was curious what that "artifact" was. Cool! Are they keeping it permanently or sending it back once IDed? As I've said before, beautiful coin.
i think the museum will buy it from them. UK has this rule that you cant sell your finds to private collectors. I maybe wrong...
@DrTones: great finds you guys! cant wait for your next movie.

That's an amazing find. Sucks everything "belongs to the crown" from what I understand.

I'm pretty sure they take all "historical" finds and catalogue them at the local museum/historical society pursuant to English law. Then, if they want to keep the find for the museum, they will pay the finder "fair market value" - if not, they will give the find back to you after they are finished cataloguing it.

It encourages people to bring their historically significant finds in to the museum to share knowledge with local archaeologists and historians.

I'm pretty sure they take all "historical" finds and catalogue them at the local museum/historical society pursuant to English law. Then, if they want to keep the find for the museum, they will pay the finder "fair market value" - if not, they will give the find back to you after they are finished cataloguing it.

It encourages people to bring their historically significant finds in to the museum to share knowledge with local archaeologists and historians.

England & Wales only.

There is no legal requirement to hand in to the museum single coins regardless of the type of metal or age.

We freely hand in finds that we think will add to the historical data-base for the area and to fill in the blanks for a particular period in time.

England & Wales only.

There is no legal requirement to hand in to the museum single coins regardless of the type of metal or age.

We freely hand in finds that we think will add to the historical data-base for the area and to fill in the blanks for a particular period in time.

Good info. I was mistaken, as suspected. I had assumed it was required that you turn it in or alert them to it.

Back
Top Bottom