What was your first great find??

Treasurekidd

Elite Member
Back in April, 2005, I was about 2 months into detecting, and I was getting frustrated with not finding anything of any real value. I had started off with an old Bounty Hunter, and then upgraded to my ACE250. I used that for a few weeks, and was actually pretty close to giving up on the hobby, thinking why waste so much of my precious free time just to dig up pennies and pocket change? Then one weekend morning I hit a small freshwater beach at a local pond, and after just a few minutes of scanning, dug up the awesome mens sterling silver ring, made by Tiffany & Co. FINALLY!! This ring was my first great find, and after finding it, was completley hooked on this hobby, all doubts gone forever!

I've seen lot's of really great finds posted since then, but I'd like to see everyone's FIRST great find. It doesn't have to be silver, gold or diamonds, just whatever find it was that made you do that first double-take, made your heart speed up a little, and made your feet do the detectorist's dance for the first time!

Attachments

• Sandy Pond Ring 4-23-05 (2).JPG
    Sandy Pond Ring 4-23-05 (2).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Sandy Pond Ring 2 4-23-05 (1).JPG
    Sandy Pond Ring 2 4-23-05 (1).JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 224
This was mine,,32AD and i still have it.Have been offered quite a bit of money for it but its mine,mine,mine

Attachments

• Celtic Durotriges.jpg
    Celtic Durotriges.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Celtic Durotriges 1.jpg
    Celtic Durotriges 1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 225
Just found my first great find this week. It was a 1866 Indian Head in almost perfect condition

This was my first old coin find and it kind of kept me going in the hobby. I was beginning to become discouraged after several months of hunting but no old coins.

Now I am having better success and know that there are more to come!

The coin itself may not be considered great... to me, the great part is the memory of this small success.

Attachments

• seated-obv.jpg
    seated-obv.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 214
My first great find was a mens gold wedding band at a tot lot. No pictures yet, but I will try and get one here soon. It was found in January.

Simon, great find, but I thought you had to give up anything more than 300 years old in your area, and declare it as treasure? Or am I missing something? I remember you had to do that with a gold coin not too long ago.

My first great find was my 100 year old watch. Although I hadn't hit across any jewelry until just lately. I purchased a 4.5" coil and found this ring close to a swing set pole. The Tiffany and Co. Locket wasn't discovered until I got home and was showing my girlfriend my finds. As the age of blindness at close range and not wearing my glasses all the time, it wasn't till she saw it and said "Oh my god it's a Tiffany & Co locket" before I even new I had it. Each day seems to bring something special and new to this hobby. It's just like fishing, you get a tug at the end of the stick, and you never know how big it is, until you bring it in (without the maintenance costs and fuel and tackle and beer, well maybe one later). :lol:

Attachments

• Tiffany&Co1a.jpg
    Tiffany&Co1a.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 239
rdavison said:
My first great find was my 100 year old watch. Although I hadn't hit across any jewelry until just lately. I purchased a 4.5" coil and found this ring close to a swing set pole. The Tiffany and Co. Locket wasn't discovered until I got home and was showing my girlfriend my finds. As the age of blindness at close range and not wearing my glasses all the time, it wasn't till she saw it and said "Oh my god it's a Tiffany & Co locket" before I even new I had it. Each day seems to bring something special and new to this hobby. It's just like fishing, you get a tug at the end of the stick, and you never know how big it is, until you bring it in (without the maintenance costs and fuel and tackle and beer, well maybe one later). :lol:
That's hot!

Okay, this may not count because I found it with my eyes on a street in London in 1959. I still have no idea what it is made of or who it is meant to be. There are no markings on it and the back is plain silver coloured with gold tone underneath.

Attachments

• Spaniard0001.JPG
    Spaniard0001.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 210
My first Mercury head dime was a thriller. About 27 years ago when I started detecting, my son - then about 9 years old - found an old girl's school they were beginning to take down.
We went there and shortly there after dug the dime and we both did the dance ! After I had done the whole place , several trips later, I had dug a couple hundred coins including about 15 more silver.

Also the last time he danced around with dad :) Steve in so az

twistidd said:
My first great find was a mens gold wedding band at a tot lot. No pictures yet, but I will try and get one here soon. It was found in January.

Simon, great find, but I thought you had to give up anything more than 300 years old in your area, and declare it as treasure? Or am I missing something? I remember you had to do that with a gold coin not too long ago.

Only if the BM (British Museum) decides they want it,in this case i was allowed to keep it.

I guess my first great find, to me anyways, was my first silver coin and I guess that is why it is my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom