Looking for Advice on a Second Detector

Chris Crawford

OK, so I'm looking for a second metal detector for my teenage sons to use. I currently have a Equinox 800.

At first I was considering getting something in the $350 price range like the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I've just finished making a pocket knife that's about to sell, so I thought maybe I'll look for something in the $550 range like the Garrett AT Pro. I really wasn't wanting to go over that amount.

So what's really perplexing me is this: should I get the best detector that I can for around $550, or save another $100 and pick up the Equinox 600?

The advantage to the AT Pro is that it's less expensive, and it would probably be easier for them to learn to use. The advantage to the Nox 600 is that they are already somewhat familiar with it, and we would be able to share accessories.

Is the performance of the Nox 600 worth the extra $100 over the AT Pro? Also, is there any advantage to having your second detector being a different brand than your primary detector?

Thanks for the advice.

Call around to some dealers and get a quote. You should be able to find the Nox 600 close to your price range. The prices shown online are MAP (Minimum Advertised Price).

When asking others about which detector to get you may get some different answers but they'll all be truthful. Depends on which detector they're using. As for me I've never had a NOX but I use an AT Pro and like it a lot.

Absolutely another Eq. Absolutely since you already have the 800.

Might be good to get another equinox, maybe a 600 if you are looking to save a few bucks. That way if your 800 ever is out of commission you could grab the 600 and already be familiar with menus, settings, etc...
Email a bunch of the sponsors on here and ask for their rock bottom, no extra junk included price for an equinox 600, you would be surprised how much they will discount...

I think it makes great sense to get a 600 for your son. Then you guys can compare signals and setting all on the same page. With both of you on like machines learning and mastering the detectors will be much more fun and productive. Can’t think of a better time to be had having your son involved with you. You’ll be making memories for a lifetime!

I totally agree that having two EQs will allow for faster learning for all of you,and it is the latest tech out there in that price range. If you’re looking to primarily find coins,you just can’t beat a Minelab,sorry. You can do well with other machines,but the vast majority of people finding more than average amounts of coins,and OLD DEEP coins, are using Minelabs. Get another EQ.

Why not buy a used Etrac? I mean,I’ve actually saw quite a few in the last couple of months used in the $550 range..You guys could have two great machines then,change it up

OK, so I'm looking for a second metal detector for my teenage sons to use. I currently have a Equinox 800.

At first I was considering getting something in the $350 price range like the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I've just finished making a pocket knife that's about to sell, so I thought maybe I'll look for something in the $550 range like the Garrett AT Pro. I really wasn't wanting to go over that amount.

So what's really perplexing me is this: should I get the best detector that I can for around $550, or save another $100 and pick up the Equinox 600?

The advantage to the AT Pro is that it's less expensive, and it would probably be easier for them to learn to use. The advantage to the Nox 600 is that they are already somewhat familiar with it, and we would be able to share accessories.

Is the performance of the Nox 600 worth the extra $100 over the AT Pro? Also, is there any advantage to having your second detector being a different brand than your primary detector?

Thanks for the advice.

get him a tesoro "mojave" he will learn the audio nuances of the single tone detector,and he'll learn a lot! can be had new $251.10..good luck!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Since you have the Nox already, I'd lean towards the 600...although I still love my AT Pro, you're already familiar with the Nox, and can more readily teach your son...

I agree going with the 600 since you already have the 8. Don't forget if you are a vet you get 15% off which would put it right in your ball park. Good luck Mark

Since you have the Nox already, I'd lean towards the 600...although I still love my AT Pro, you're already familiar with the Nox, and can more readily teach your son...

Hey everybody, I've been away for a little bit, but I took the advice of the majority and just ordered the Nox 600. I also put in for the 6" coil, so I'm excited to see how that works. Especially since I'll be able to share it between the two machines. Thanks for the help!

Do yourself a favor and upgrade on the pinpointer. You’ll thank me later.

You're correct! I will thank you later, and now is that time! I ended up picking up a White's TRX Bullseye pin-pointer, and I couldn't believe the difference. At first, the TRX seemed too sensitive, but now that I've learned to ratchet it down, I can pinpoint with extreme accuracy. That thing will detect coins several inches underground from the surface. So.... Thanks!

Your very welcome!

I too was pleasantly surprised by how well a GOOD pinpointer simplified the retrieval process. Feels good to be of some small service. Good luck!

If you think your kids will be serious about it I'd skip the Ace and go right for the Pro. I myself started with an Ace 350, and while it's capable and a machine I recommend, I did switch to an AT Pro within a year. The Pro audio and waterproofness are worth it.

I only have experience with Garrett machines so I can't really offer a comparison to other brands. However, experience with a brand is really helpful for the learning curve of a second machine that is the same brand. The AT Pro was really easy for me to pick up after almost a year using the Ace. So familiarity is an advantage... whether it's a $100 advantage is personal opinion I imagine.

EDIT: Lol I didn't read all the replies so I didn't see you made your order already. Oh well. :laughing:

You can do well with other machines,but the vast majority of people finding more than average amounts of coins,and OLD DEEP coins, are using Minelabs.

Sorry, but that's just pure speculation on your part. I use an AT Pro and I've found a ton of old coins with it. In the past few weeks alone I've found two large cents (including an 1805), a 1778 half real, a 1785 CT copper and a 1787 Fugio cent. And that's with limited detecting, due to the weather.

Research and location will ALWAYS trump the machine you are using. Throwing money at a hobby never works. You can't buy you way into becoming a better detectorist. You have to do research and pay your dues. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just my take on it.

I’m still learning my nox but I love it already. Good thing you upgraded your pinpointer. I’ve never used the whites but I’ve heard some people like them. I personally love my Garrett carrot.

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Back
Top Bottom