A Reason Why It Keeps Getting More Difficult to Find Gold Wedding Bands

pine3874

Elite Member
Today at the lake I got a VDI of 50(higher than an old beaver tail pulltab) on the Kruzer. Never had a 50 VDI so of course was very curious to find out what I had. When I saw the gold ring in the scoop I really thought I had a hunker of probably 18K. That was of course until I looked inside the ring and saw the tungsten carbide stamp:mad: Now I understand why there are fewer gold wedding bands to be found. If one can buy a really nice looking gold tone band that is hyper allergenic, never scratches and only costs $20, why buy gold.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 739
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 748
Tungsten is also whats' being used to counterfeit gold coins and bullion by the chinese. No bueno!

Yup, alot of people are going with those !!!! metal rings, let´s hope this trend ends quickly...

Not likely. :roll: And those tungsten's have such nice weight to them too.

One thing I know about Tungsten Carbide Rings is if something every happens and it needs to be cut off they’ll do it the finger because they’ll do more damage cutting the T/C I’ll take a nice soft metal thank you. Like gold silver or plat.

I wouldn't bother trying to cut tungsten carbide or ceramic rings. In an emergency, grab them with locking pliers, set to lock at slightly less than the outer diameter of the ring. If it doesn't crack, release the plier and tighten it a quarter turn, and repeat until the ring shatters. Hopefully that will minimize damage to the finger and hand.

I wouldn't bother trying to cut tungsten carbide or ceramic rings. In an emergency, grab them with locking pliers, set to lock at slightly less than the outer diameter of the ring. If it doesn't crack, release the plier and tighten it a quarter turn, and repeat until the ring shatters. Hopefully that will minimize damage to the finger and hand.

Yep, just smash em...

<°)))>{

tungsten carbide is really annoying. It's gotten to the point where I just throw them away now :mad:

Yup. Also stainless steel rings.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Less

People getting hitched, 85 % of the hitched fail's , is the reason Wedding band's are getting harder to find :yes::laughing: Single guy never married said so.:laughing::pirate2:

Sad indeed... my wedding band is platinum, actually thought of getting an exact replica in sterling to wear in case I ever lose my ring... still sporting my plat ring but won’t wear it in the ocean :lol:

I've read somewhere you can recycle tungsten carbide if you have several pounds. Never researched the subject further though since I do not have even a pound of those rings yet. But I am getting there.

I can say TC does scratch. About 1/3 of the ones i find have scratches. Now are they low grade China TC? Dunno?

The youth of today who have no idea about Metals will still pay you $50 for that ring! They have no comprehension of Precious Metal values or any interest in learning, but they do like shiny things and at $50, will think they are getting a 'deal' I sold one for $60, I know, I know...How can I call myself a Christian? :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom