• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

$%#& You Park Biddy

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I got 'kicked out' of a park today by some biddy with more time on her hands than work. I made her pull the regs first, mostly because I didn't think they had it. They did. Gwinnett Co parks have a deface law in the books and apparently this lady felt the need to enforce it. They were nice enough to 'allow' me to work the tot lots and sand lots, but no digging in the grass. Oh well...

Before she stopped me I pulled a pot leaf pendant and some clad. The pendant wasn't silver so in the trash it goes.

Side note, anyone argue with the park guys or do you just let it go and move on? The Leo in me doesn't want to let it go, but I know that for the sake of all detectorist, that I should represent us well.

BCD

tmp_30239-20160422_192450-668040748_zpsoflk3qnh.jpg

Too bad , rules are rules , sounds like they may have had a problem in the past .
Hope you find a better place to hunt .
HH

I work for said county and even asked the Deputy director of the department and was given the same response...stick to the totlots and you'll be fine

That is unfortunate for you, but I think you did the right thing by just walking away without putting up a fuss. After all, it is a written rule, you just didn't have access to the rules. Like I said, my opinion is that you did good.

Sometimes those ordinances are written to stop a specific behavior, and may have nothing to do with other, affected activities. I suggest that you attend a city commission meeting and voice your problem--perhaps a change can be made to the ordinance to accommodate metal detectorists.

Bummer, she's probably the same type of person that will eat a cheeseburger while telling you an energy drink is bad for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I work for said county and even asked the Deputy director of the department and was given the same response...stick to the totlots and you'll be fine

Did you get an answer as to why? Did you inquire as to getting an exception for MDing?

I don't really hunt this park often and usually just the tot lots anyway. I was just checking out another area to see if it had any good targets.

BCD

It states dig up or damage. If you put it back and make it almost unnoticeable are you really breaking the rule?

You didn't damage or remove it (its back where it was)

I'm pretty sure "dig up" covers metal detecting though the general context probably means landscaping.

Sent from my detector via iPhone

I'm pretty sure "dig up" covers metal detecting though the general context probably means landscaping.

True, but section 78-33 states that throwing objects is prohibited, and yet there were dozens of kids and parents throwing around baseballs and softballs.

Section 78-34 states that Annoying noises are prohibited, and yet every parent at one point is whistling, clapping and yelling at their kids.

Obviously, the intent of the law is not to sop these specific cases, HOWEVER the letter of the law states that they are not allowed. Just saying that biddy could cut us some slack. :lol:

BCD

$%#& You Park Biddy

Yeah I hear you, however the point at which a police officer is standing over me asking what part of "no digging" don't you understand? is the point md becomes not worth it to me.

Yeah I hear you, however the point at which a police officer is standing over me asking what part of "no digging" don't you understand? is the point md becomes not worth it to me.

Just putting together a few arguments to take to the director.

BCD

It states dig up or damage. If you put it back and make it almost unnoticeable are you really breaking the rule?

You didn't damage or remove it (its back where it was)

This ^ ^

Re.: deface, alter, damage, etc.... If you leave no trace, then technically you have not defacED, alterED, or damagED anything. NOW HAVE YOU ? :roll:

And what is the difference between deface and defaced? Merely present tense versus past tense. Right ? Then what is the difference between dig and dug ? Same thing: Merely present tense versus past tense.

GRANTED they will probably not agree with these semantics. Fine then: Can't you go when that particular miss-lookie-lou isn't around ? If I had to conclude that anytime someone ever said "scram", that it amounted to gospel law, then I would immediately preclude myself from scores of parks that I still hunt w/o issue.

I've had singular encounters like you describe, and .... 6 months later, it's forgotten about, and never heard so much as "boo" ever again. Perhaps she was responding to some nosy mother in the park who called on their cell-phone?

This is why I detect turf at night now. So peaceful. So serene. And no, going to city hall to fight it is probably not going to help. Anytime cities step in to sanction or allow or permit something, you can BET it will be riddled with ridiculousness. Or they'll just make it simple and invent a rule of "no" to address your pressing issue. Then you're in 2x the mess you were in before you went higher up the chain.

Also: If that type verbage automatically means "no metal detecting", then let me save all the entire USA md'ing community a lot of time: Then stop detecting all parks, everywhere, in every city.

Because I can GAURANTEE you that such verbage exists in every single city. Yet, last I checked (a quick look at the finds-forums on any md'ing web-site), there is NO SHORTAGE of md'rs daily , plying turfed parks, in cities everywhere.

The mere fact that this is true, tells you right there that it is totally arbitrary, and far from "black and white law". Far different from a rule or law that truly said "no md'ing".

So if it were me, I'd just make note of her shift (like if that happened in the AM), and just go at the 12 hr. later cycle. Ie.: morning versus afternoon, etc.... Some people might say that's "sneaking around", ok, fine then, sneak around. I have had numerous such encounters, and ... you give lip service, and .... it's soon forgotten, that person moves on to another dept, etc...

In fact, I've even had a cop once confide in me (after buttering him up to change his mind) that he was only responding to a call from the lady across the street whose window overlooked the park. He said just go to the other side of the park, and what she doesn't see won't bother her. If I hadn't engaged the cop in longer conversation, might simply have concluded "oh no, it's illegal, I have to leave and go fight city hall now", etc....

Bummer! I hate taking orders, especially from old Wimmen! I also have developed an affinity for avoiding their bossiness by being invisible. On the off chance one does see me, I try to ensure our encounter is completely forgetable so their attention can be focused on somebody else!...:laughing:

38 yrs of Marital experience talking here...In fact, I'm skipping out now and wont be seen by anyone for several hours!:laughing:
Mud.

yeh by the legal wording there I would say they have had a past issue. a few of the parks around here have very similar rules, but do not include specific words like "historic items" .
I have a great relationship with most of the park workers locally, but all it takes is one busy body to ruin your day!

Best to live to fight another day and move on. These days you never know who knows who. Our parks have signs you read going in. Our schools really have signs you better read:lol: Someone got in an argument at a park by my house. Now nobody is even allowed to hunt totlots there. They also have the right to ban you from all parks in the county if you make them prove their point. Best to let them forget you and hit it another time.

Nobody can stop you from detecting our beaches where I live. But you tick a homeowner off bad enough you'll find loads of metal thrown behind their house. It's just a controlling nature in general thing. Someone on the St. Johns used to dump refridgerators in the river behind their house to stop the shrimp boats from dragging. It's not illegal to drag. But the little black netting you see on shrimp boats is 5 grand each. Imagine losing 10 grand in a day:shock:

Best to live to fight another day and move on. These days you never know who knows who. Our parks have signs you read going in. Our schools really have signs you better read:lol: Someone got in an argument at a park by my house. Now nobody is even allowed to hunt totlots there. They also have the right to ban you from all parks in the county if you make them prove their point. Best to let them forget you and hit it another time.

:

Exactly

Probably what will happen,,is metal detecting will be added per wordage into their rules.

If they allow detecting,,the way their rules are now,,it becomes more of a fine line,,,I mean one person who would inspect your covered holes might be satisfied,,someone else maybe not.

And I would say,,there is always a possibility no matter how careful we are,,,it would be possible not to make a place where one has dug---returned to original condition.

Wait a few weeks then just go at sunup for a few hrs. on Sunday, she probably will be in church:lol:

Back
Top Bottom