1889 cc Morgan dollar fake

Bmph2c33

Hey there my mom was at a coinstar today and found this at the bottem where the junk falls out and she dropped this off at my house has anyone ever seen this befor and know if it's worth anything?! If anyone has info let me know I tryed looking it up and can't find anything thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,835
Just got this today from Valley Coin:

Most collectors would love to have the 1889‑CC Morgan dollar, rarest of the Carson City Mint Morgans. This 90% silver dollar is one of the most rare and desirable issues in the entire Morgan dollar series. Just a scant 350,000 1889‑CC Morgans were minted and few have ever turned up in hoards, including the great Treasury release of the 1960s through the 1980s. Many may have been melted down to comply with the Pittman Act of 1918.

Still an awesome coinstar find though.

Is that like a serial # stamped in ???

I got scammed once when I thought I was getting a silver quarter. One thing my coin and your coin have in common is the word "copy". The only silver, if any, would be the silver plating. Nice to look at but probably not worth anything sadly.

Whites Quantum II with a Quantum 7.8 coil

Looks like its a "fake"
since it does have copy stamped on it and a serial number or some such after it.

probably originally came coated in the thinnest layer of silver you can put on something.

interesting coin none the less!!!

Just got this today from Valley Coin:

Most collectors would love to have the 1889‑CC Morgan dollar, rarest of the Carson City Mint Morgans. This 90% silver dollar is one of the most rare and desirable issues in the entire Morgan dollar series. Just a scant 350,000 1889‑CC Morgans were minted and few have ever turned up in hoards, including the great Treasury release of the 1960s through the 1980s. Many may have been melted down to comply with the Pittman Act of 1918.

Still an awesome coinstar find though.

Is that like a serial # stamped in ???

Yes there's a serial # it's cc1879 I tried looking it up but I can't find nothing!

And yes I know it's fake since where the stamp was it should say one dollar thanks for the info guys! Also the weight is the same as Other real Morgans

KT regrets that its fake, but it is a fake coin, not a coin as stated above! He knows...He is picking at symantics, but that is like calling a copy or a token a coin.

At least whoever made it did not try to deceive because they put the word copy on it.

Here is the one that was given to me many years ago. It looks like a frosted proof.

Attachments

• IMG_8549.jpg
    IMG_8549.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMG_8550.jpg
    IMG_8550.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_8551.jpg
    IMG_8551.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,291
This isn't a fake. It's a reproduction. A fake or counterfeit is when it was made to pass as the real thing. This was made as a novelty piece. I know I'm splitting hairs but it was the wrong terminology. :grimace: Some of the older reproductions though were made of silver and not just plated. That being said I have no idea how old this one is.

My local coin shop has a machine (forget what it's called) that can identify the metal in any coin or ring etc. Perhaps your local shop may too. The machines are super expensive so not many have them.

The paper shows the composition to be 100mil .999 silver clad base, meaning it is a clad coin with 100 mil of .999 silver plating. 100 mil would be the thickness of the plating at time of production.

The paper shows the composition to be 100mil .999 silver clad base, meaning it is a clad coin with 100 mil of .999 silver plating. 100 mil would be the thickness of the plating at time of production.

That's how they get people to buy them thinking it's a solid silver piece with the wording they use.

Back
Top Bottom