Coin roll finds

aviationgale

Elite Member
Started out Monday and because it was raining decided to try the coin roll finds.
Well I think I'm hooked. In 4 days I've gotten 1 war nickle and 18 silver Rosies. Not bad for not having to dig anything!! Just re-rolling. Got a '34 mercury today along with another war nickle before having the police come and basicly tell us we could not detect from the sidewalk out. So gonna have to research that, doesn't sound right to me. Couple of pics. Last one shows my books I'm trying to fill.

Attachments

• MARSHALL DIMES 012.jpg
    MARSHALL DIMES 012.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 512
  • MARSHALL DIMES 013.jpg
    MARSHALL DIMES 013.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 507
  • MARSHALL DIMES 007.jpg
    MARSHALL DIMES 007.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 513
I am fairly green when it comes to coins, i love collecting them and recently found my first silver Rosie.. So my question is this, what the heck is a war nickle :lol:

It's a nickel made partially of silver during WWII so they could use the metal from the nickels for ammo.

how much dimes did you search through? How the freak can you have already gotten 18 and i haven't even had one?

I average one silver dime per box, and have only ever found one merc. I also get a war nickle per box usually, so either you got someones collection or you are going through a !!!! ton of coins. Either way, congrats.

Actually not that many, about 6 rolls a day. And I just started this week. I just did another 6 rolls and got 6 more****Total now 24. I don't know were they are coming from but I'll take them. I tried quarters but nothing. I think I got lucky with the war nickle it just happened to be in the first or second roll. So tomorrow back to the bank to get more, I think I'll trade the quarters for dimes. I think I'm having pretty good luck with those. HH everyone!

This will make you feel even better, got another 20 rolls, all NEW. Thank god I noticed BEFORE I opened all of them. Note to self....check to make sure they are not new before you leave bank LOL !!

:laughing: you must have a bank like a minute from your house! you do sooooo many stinking rolls! lol

Maybe close to 10 years ago I did a lot of roll searching. Like others said I was seeing maybe one dime per box (I think it's $250 / box). The same for quarters ($500 / box). I would get more nickels might be 2 or 3 per box ($100 / box). Half dollars are the best. I got almost 3/4 of a box 40% silver one time. I found Walkers, Franklins in half dollars. I even found one commemorative and a bunch of circulated proofs (including silver).
I was looking at the coins with a loupe trying to find varieties. I was looking for RPM's, doubled dies and wide AM pennies etc.
My best find is the 1981-D RPM nickel. At the time this was an unknown variety so I sent it into CONECA for attribution. So I get my name on the listing. A guy found another a couple of years ago but his is in much worse shape than mine (mine is not great).

Attachments

• IMG_20130825_090940.jpg
    IMG_20130825_090940.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 335
:laughing: you must have a bank like a minute from your house! you do sooooo many stinking rolls! lol

Town is only 4 or 5 miles away. I'm either in there detecting or picking something up, so I swing by and just pick some up. I asked about half dollars and he said "we don't get them in rolls, only what people drop in the coin machine". Really? I thought banks still had them. Oh well, I'll be back tomorrow and see what I can get. :grin:

Town is only 4 or 5 miles away. I'm either in there detecting or picking something up, so I swing by and just pick some up. I asked about half dollars and he said "we don't get them in rolls, only what people drop in the coin machine". Really? I thought banks still had them. Oh well, I'll be back tomorrow and see what I can get. :grin:

Pick up the singles if they have any. I look over the counter and can often see silver in their tray if they have any. Almost any bank will give you halves and they want rid of them. You don't have to be a customer in almost all banks. You can order boxes but I most just pick up what they have.

I swear this one 50 something year old lady at a bank hates me. My parents have an account at the bank but she still obviously doesn't like me! I think it's cause I'm a 15 yr old and she thinks I just cause work for them. All the other banks are so friendly!

I swear this one 50 something year old lady at a bank hates me. My parents have an account at the bank but she still obviously doesn't like me! I think it's cause I'm a 15 yr old and she thinks I just cause work for them. All the other banks are so friendly!

Too bad for her, it's her job. Next time look straight at her and ask her "Is there a problem?" And I mean glare at her. Bank tellers are glorified cashiers, think they are above you. Trust me they are not. HH MJ

Pick up the singles if they have any. I look over the counter and can often see silver in their tray if they have any. Almost any bank will give you halves and they want rid of them. You don't have to be a customer in almost all banks. You can order boxes but I most just pick up what they have.

I'll try the single thing, I'm sure it will get under their skin..LOL I saw the halves they were all new. HH MJ

Back
Top Bottom