Back on the GTI 2500 ... did an air test and...

FXDiz

Forum Supporter
Fleming Island FL (formerly called Hibernia)
.... was picking up coins at 6 to 7 inches and gold jewelery at 3 inchs at best. My wifes ACE 250 was doing better in the air by as much as 2 inches on coins and an inch on the gold. Do I have a problem with the GTI 2500 maybe? I would HOPE that it would beat out the ACE 250 by at least what the ACE is beating it by.

I don't put much stock in air testing... You get more depth when actually finding a target in the ground.

If I can find it... On another board a poster made a video of air testing an Excalibur and he was getting signals around 6 to 8 inches and most know that an Excal is a lot deeper than that...

As to your 2 detectors you have to take into consideration the settings they were both at I would think... I wouldn't read much into your results..

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,508857,508857#msg-508857

Last edited:
If I can find it... On another board a poster made a video of air testing an Excalibur and he was getting signals around 6 to 8 inches and most know that an Excal is a lot deeper than that...

As to your 2 detectors you have to take into consideration the settings they were both at I would think... I wouldn't read much into your results..

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,508857,508857#msg-508857

We tested at each of the discrimination mode and all metal on both detectors.

Make sure your threshold has a low sound you can hear all the time.
And actually lower your sensativity to aroun no more than 9 or add to it to get there. Try this and let us know what happens.

I don't put much value in air tests other than giving you an idea of how a detector might respond to different targets. I certainly would not put much weight behind air teats depths. Too many variables even when testing 2 detectors side by side.

First off the ACS250 is a hot detector no doubt. Thats why it has the reputation it does, but you've got to remember having far less adjustments it is set for best performance from the factory. If the GTI2500 is anything like the Whites DFX its factory setting are quite mild aiming for better stability than performance.

Since I'm not familiar with the GTI2500 I'll once again use the DFX as an example.

Air testing the DFX can be very misleading to say the least. To make the DFX more user friendly for beginners its factory settings are very conservative, but make no mistake its a monster waiting to be let loose. If I remember right my buddy's ACE250 air tested deeper than my DFX but the results in the field were entirely different.

A little common sense can go a long ways. Think about it. You never see one detector claim to have more power than another. Why? because the FCC regulates it. So we can assume pretty much all detectors have the same amount of power, they just use it in different ways. The ACE250's weakness is saltwater. I can put Todd Rice's program in my DFX that makes it detect a gold ring at over 12" deep, but makes it useless in saltwater. So it might be safe to say the ACE250 has the same type of settings giving it very good depth, but for this added depth it gives up stability in certain conditions. In this case saltwater.

High-end detectors typically have more adjustments for a reason. It gives them the ability to still get good depth in more conditions than the preset ones. Really the major difference between most detectors, other than the obvious amount of control, is quality, durability, construction and weight.

For this reason there is no answer to "Which detector is best?" but which detector is best for me.

Make sure your threshold has a low sound you can hear all the time.
And actually lower your sensativity to aroun no more than 9 or add to it to get there. Try this and let us know what happens.

Tried it Tony and it didn't seem to be any better. As a matter of fact I had to turn the sensitivity down to about 7 because it wasn't stable and I was getting a quick beep about every 2 seconds or so regardless of where I had the coil. Kind of like some sort of feedback. Also, a few times when pinpointing the tone had a quick fluttering sound and the indication on the screen would go up and down at the same time. Kind of like it was cycling very fast, if you know what I mean. Almost like a loose connection somewhere. I checked the coil and all was secure. I reset to factory, adjusted freq and volume and it went away. I did this in my yard and I have never had the problem here before. Also, what I did find (1 nickel, 5 pennies. a number of cable connecters a couple of washers and some other miscellaneous junk). Nothing below 3 inches. I did get readings below 3 inches but target size indicated soda can, so I didn't dig it as I have in the past and they were exactly what it said, soda cans. Also, the pennies would sometimes come up in the middle of the ring/gold area between nickel and penny. The other day a number of dimes registered as pennies. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom