Made my own PVC sand scoop... *pics*

ATProGuy

Elite Member
After reading and looking at a few other home made pvc sand scoops I decided to try and make my own.

Sorry poor pics are from cell phone. Apparently someone thought it would be funny to steal my dslr cameras. :(

It took roughly $25 and an hour or so. Everything came from Home Depot. I did take it to the local lake to test it out in both dry and wet sand. No wiggles, no movement and so far no weakness. I know the holes look small but I am in mostly very fine sand with little to no pebbles let alone rocks. It passed its first test with flying colors. I did extend the handle all the way through the scoop to give it more support. Most I have seen just go to the top of the basket.

Here is the basic design and almost finished product...

scoop002.jpg

scoop001.jpg

Here it is after I finished it. I put bed liner along the whole basket and handle. I will be getting a bike grip for the handle and putting a slight bend in the shaft of it as well.

scoop010.jpg

scoop012.jpg

scoop014.jpg

scoop013.jpg

I just need it for the occasional shallow sandy lake hunt and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Did I mention how chilly it was waist deep in the lake today? :shock:

UPDATE ***

I had the chance to break it in today. Went to a local lake. Actually held up and only complaint would be maybe I will put a nice bend in the handle. I had no problems at all with it. Not one real complaint. For once..

All in all $3.67 in clad, 23 pull tabs and one silver earring. Not bad for 2 hours in shallow water. Turned out to be a beautiful sunny day out with barely a breeze and crystal clear water.

scoop016.jpg

cool winter project, i'm sure ya know this already but just watch when you kick it into the sand or your foot will puch the screen in

cool winter project, i'm sure ya know this already but just watch when you kick it into the sand or your foot will puch the screen in

Thats with pretty much most mesh backed scoops. I have an idea to put a little metal bracket near the top of the back of the basket to add foot support. I won't be using it much just a little here and there. You know what lake i will be using it at. Scoped it out pretty good and walked around in the water and it is very fine sand where the beaches used to be.

I like it !!!! and am inspired to follow suit,,,,, anything you'd do different?

Nice! My horse feed scoop just might get knocked to "backup status". What about gluing the top 1/3 of a cap fitting to use for your foot? Should still leave plenty of room for a screen at the back. Think I might give this one a try.

wonderful...

I'm going to have to build one tonight or Thursday night for Florida...

I have the handle...and the clamp (I think I have a clamp)...just need the wire and the PVC I think...

Out of curiosity, what's the diameter of that 45-degree PVC fitting?
4" I believe.
wonderful...

I'm going to have to build one tonight or Thursday night for Florida...

I have the handle...and the clamp (I think I have a clamp)...just need the wire and the PVC I think...
Also you need a sleeve anchor to support and hold down the handle to the underside of the scoop.
Nice! My horse feed scoop just might get knocked to "backup status". What about gluing the top 1/3 of a cap fitting to use for your foot? Should still leave plenty of room for a screen at the back. Think I might give this one a try.
That's a good idea. Thanks.
I like it !!!! and am inspired to follow suit,,,,, anything you'd do different?
Besides maybe glue a lil piece o cap for foot support at the back nothing. I really like it.

4" I believe.

Also you need a sleeve anchor to support and hold down the handle to the underside of the scoop.

I'll just use a small diameter PVC pipe...that should work I think...

or...hmmm...let me think about this...might be another way...

The concrete sleeve anchor is the best option for my intended use. I will be going to use it and see how it works out today. Its a nice 40 degrees out lol

After a quick trip to Home Depot, I must say I like the design idea, but the actual size of this scoop might be a problem for some diggers. This scoop will take a much smaller bite than the others out there. This one will be sturdy as hell, but I think beach MDers will be looking for something bigger. I would be a lake beach person so this one would work for me.

I'm going in search of a 45-degree non-hub PVC. It would also make it easier to put a portion of the cap on the back for foot assistance without adding a piece of 4" PVC to the OP's design and then the cap. I think it's worth mentioning that if you add a cap on the back and then cut 2/3 of it off, it would work for using your foot. One downside is the 4" cap is wicked expensive. Those PVC fittings aren't cheap are they?

neat idea... you could also put the mesh screen on the inside of the pvc recessed an inch or so from the outer edge that may keep the mesh from being damaged..

I had the chance to break it in today. Went to a local lake. Actually held up and only complaint would be maybe I will put a nice bend in the handle. I had no problems at all with it. Not one real complaint. For once..

All in all $3.67 in clad, 23 pull tabs and one silver earring. Not bad for 2 hours in shallow water. Turned out to be a beautiful sunny day out with barely a breeze and crystal clear water.

scoop016.jpg

Dirt Nuker the PVC parts are pretty cheap actually. Like I said about $25 for everything.

Back
Top Bottom