anyone ever try ?

carp

has anyone ever gone mining for gems,fossils,silver,gold. it seems to me it would go hand and hand with metal detecting, for the point of treasure hunting advantage. i'm thinking of going somewhere near massachusetts,new hampshire, maine if any one has gone please share your advantage with us also if you know of a place near massachusetts it would be helpfull

thank you and happy hunting

I think that's so fun. I went ruby hunting in North Carolina, and arrowhead hunting there too. In the mountains of NC we panned for gold. When I was a youngster I went to Fairystone State Park in VA and brought home a few fairystones. You can't be afraid of getting dirty when you do that kind of stuff. I love it!

I have been gold nugget shooting here in California. No luck yet but have just begun. Am heading to the Sierra's in a week and am going to hit some known gold areas.

RD :cool:

About 2 months ago, I went hunting in an gold mine shaft. Found three spikes that looked identical to railroad spikes, except they were only about 3" long. Was told they were from the old tracks for cars they loaded with ore. Also found a small black piece of ore with a little gold dust in it. Didn't find much on that trip, but it's still fun finding and hunting the old mines. Use to do ALOT of arrowhead hunting a couple of years ago when I lived in Missouri.

I have got issues!

Yeah, I have tried it all! Actually I am a bottle digging , metal detecting , fossil finding freak!!
(gave up the gem & gold hunt when I realized it just aint gonna happen Indiana)
I get on my own nerves! I am constantly looking at the ground and pick up everything to get a closer look.
If I am not alone in this world, someone please fess up!

Yeah, I have tried it all! Actually I am a bottle digging , metal detecting , fossil finding freak!!
(gave up the gem & gold hunt when I realized it just aint gonna happen Indiana)
I get on my own nerves! I am constantly looking at the ground and pick up everything to get a closer look.
If I am not alone in this world, someone please fess up!

Are you real sure there isn't any gold in Indiana?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GoldProspectingIndiana/

http://www.treasurefish.com/indiana%20metal%20detecting.htm

I DVR "Gold Fever" and "Prospecting America" on the Outdoor Channel whenever they are scheduled. One day I will go to the Cripple River Camp for a week. It is a dream of mine. :)

Can't sat there's much in the way of fossil, gold or gem hunting around here, but you can bet when we move to Georgia 2 or 3 years from now, I'll be trying it! Metal detecting and bottle hunting keep me busy for now, though. Best of luck on your hunting trips!

When I lived in Wisconsin my wife and I would look for fossils on the shores of Lake Superior. We actually found quite a few.

Alaska has been home for more than 11 years now. There is a place a short trip north of where we live in which we have found hundreds of fossilized leaves. Also in this same spot is a high ridge where the sediment layers are plain as day. If a scienc text book should just the layers I'm sure it would describe them as being "thousands" of years old. But if you look a bit further down the ridge there is a petrified cottonwood tree going through ALL of the layers. No my friend, the earth is NOT as old as the "scientists" say. I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it if I get up there again soon.

Icy Mike
Palmer, AK

that's how I found MDing. I started out gold panning at pay-to-play mines here in N. Georgia, and found out pretty quick that there wasn't alot of return for your time or money. Some, but not alot. MDing sounded like more fun, and cheaper( minus the cost of the detector and gear mind you. :) ), and the chance to find old coins or relics really appealed to me. Once I get a better MD I'm going to try to find some old stuff. :) haha.

Panning for gold, like MDing, is alot like my first love....fishing. You search, you try, you work, and sometimes - BINGO! A nice prize catch. Other times, you just have to be content to be outside and be doing something you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom