new to hobby

scarter

I have been wanting to give MD a try for years, and just bought a NEW Tracker IV at a neighbor's garage sale for $20. I'm excited, but don't know a thing about how to properly use it. I downloaded a manual and played with it a little in the back yard, but have some questions. How deep will it detect, and how will I know how deep to dig? What are the optimum settings for routine coin/jewelery hunting at parks and the like. What settings are better for around old homesteads and that sort of thing. And is there a technique to digging and sifting to find the treasure? I think mine was pinging on iron in the rocks in my yard! Thanks for any imput!

scarter;)

Welcome aboard

Scarter, let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. I don't know anything about your detector, so I can't help much there, but there are folks here that will and will give you all the help you need. I can tell you it will take a little time to learn the machine and most feel it's best to dig everything at first, paying attention to what the machine is telling you and in no time it'll be almost second nature. Be careful though, you might just get hooked on the hobby!

Welcome scarter! I know a member here called Z118 has a Tracker IV and I'm sure he can answer some questions you might have. He has had great success with that model.

Good luck hunting and let us know what you find!

Hey, welcome to the forum.
I don't know much about the Tracker IV, but I can tell you some useful tips.
Read your manual through and through, several times if need be. This helps you to become familiar with how your machine is designed to operate.
Try bench testing. This means setting your machine on your dining room table, away from metal objects, turning it on, and waving different types types of metallic objects in front of the coil. Try coins, jewelry (gold, silver, and junk) foil, nails, etc. to hear how they sound off. On most machines, you can turn the discrimination up to catch good targets, while minimizing or eliminating bad targets.
Take your machine out to the park for a spin. Dig everything that beeps and listen for subtle differences in sounds the machine makes. The more you practice, the more in tune with your machine you will become. I read that it takes on avaerage 100 hours to truly become familiar with your machine. So be patient.
How deep your machine will detect is up to the machine and coil size. I would guess that a good operating depth would be 6" - 8". Maybe more.

These are tips that were told to me and they helped. I hope they help you as well. Best of luck and be sure to post your finds so we may celebrate with you. :yes:

RD :cool:

still new and confused

Thanks for the replies I have rcv'd so far. It won't stop raining here, so I haven't been able to go anywhere to try my hand at this exciting pasttime. However, I have been playing with it to try to figure out settings, and telling the signals apart, as many of you have advised. Only one problem, I can't hear any difference in the tones, regardless of what I wave under the coil. I have trid some solid gold items, regular clad, solit silver, rusty nails, tin and aluminum foil! It all sounds the same, are my ears bad, is my detector functioning incorrectly, or am I missing some essential step or something? HELP! I don't mind digging everything, (I don't think) but I'd like to have a foggy idea of what I'm looking for when I start to dig.:?:

Back
Top Bottom