Lost in the new world.

dbankjr

First off...Great forum. I checked it out for the first time yesterday and imagine my surprise I saw two people on here from Fort Wayne right off.
I'm wanting to get back into this hobby after being away from it for about 30 years. The last detector I picked up was a Compass w/o descrimination.
As I remembered Whites were pretty good, like the Coinmasters (seems like I remembered those being around back then) ..I don't know how well they stack up against the new stuff out now, but they seem to go at a reasonable price on ebay and I always wanted one.
At this point I dont know where to go. I was thinking maybe a Tesoro Silver uMax because I have read some good things about them, but that's also another problem, I've read good things on all the stuff out now days.
So are the older Whites still holding up (I was used to having a meter to judge whether to dig the item or not and for pin pointing) or do I go with newer technology...I'm not afraid of knobs, the old Compass had to be dialed in everytime. I'm just lost in the new world. Please give me some insight..Thank You for your help in advance.

Dale

Welcome back

There was a big leap in detector technology about 16 years ago so to get one older than that could put you at a disadvantage. Years ago you were doing good to get down 4-6" but today even starter detectors can achieve incredible depth.

Now days its all about choosing the right detector for you and your needs. What type of hunting you plan to do such as beaches, coin-shooting, relic hunting and prospecting can have a big influence in what detector is best for you.

Price can range from $200-$1,200 or more. In most cases, more money gives you more options. More options gives your detector the ability to better handle hunting needs and conditions.

While the old Compass detectors were good for the times even the $200 starter detectors will out perform them.

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to one of the sponsor sites:

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

The reviews are written by regular folks who actually used the machines they reviewed.

I remember those days. I had a Garrett American S3 and was always want'n a Compass.

HH

Rich

Welcome to the forum and back to this wonderfully addictive hobby. I have never met a recovering MDer that has relapsed after so many years of sobriety. I don't think I could ever give this hobby up!

Go Comets! (does FtWayne still have the Comets?) I grew up 30 miles west of the fort off US30. I am new to hobby, but really enjoying it. This is a great forum, and the folks are really helpful. I was in Indiana a couple of weeks ago and really wanted to hunt the ballfield at Larwill, but did not get the chance.

good luck!
cb

First off...Great forum. I checked it out for the first time yesterday and imagine my surprise I saw two people on here from Fort Wayne right off.
I'm wanting to get back into this hobby after being away from it for about 30 years. The last detector I picked up was a Compass w/o descrimination.
As I remembered Whites were pretty good, like the Coinmasters (seems like I

I'm pretty much in the same boat - except I joined today and the last detector that I used was a Bounty Hunter 8400 way back when. Pulled it out of the closet a week ago and decided to give it a shot, miss the old days must be 20-25 years since I used it.

Anyway, just wanted to say Heya from another Hoosier - straight down 30 in Wanatah/Valpo.

Go Comets! (does FtWayne still have the Comets?) I grew up 30 miles west of the fort off US30. I am new to hobby,
cb

30 miles west? Around Warsaw?

Thank you for the response..

Thank you for the response and the helpful comments.
Yes Fort Wayne still has the Komets..I know the ball field you're speaking of very well..that's where the Whitley County Amateur Radio Club has sat up for "field day" the last few years..I am really from Columbia City but moved to Fort Wayne last year.
Thirty years is a long time to be away from this hobby..the metal detector I used to use was my parents and after that I got into motorcycles, shooting pool, uh girls..you know..just life
I did end up getting a detector on ebay this morning..a very nice looking White 5000D/GEB..the more I thought about it if I got one of the newer detectors I'd end up digging 10", and although it might be worth it I'd like to get my girlfriend invoved in this hobby too and I don't think she'd have the patience for that and I may not either. Also, years ago I got used to the constant tone and meter. I used a Bounty Hunter a couple days ago and I didn't care for the silent searching..seemed to me like it made pinponting the target more difficult. I know there are those with the pinpoint feature nowdays and I'll probably kick myself later for not getting a newer one but I always liked the looks of that big blue box!

Dale

I lived in the corn fields 5 miles off US30. If you made a line from Pierceton to Larwill, then over to South Whitley I would be in the center of that triangle. my grandparents owned and lived in the old Boonesville Shool house, and we lived next door. I mentioned metal detecting to the current owners and got a very firm "PEOPLE ALWAYS ASK, AND WE ALWAYS SO NO!"
That would be an awesome property to search. The ball field at Larwill should be an awesome place to hunt if you can get out there. Good luck!

cb

Back
Top Bottom