First real time out.

Torakage

Well finally got out for the the first time for more then a couple minutes with my new White's DFX.

So I hit a field near my place to see if I could find anything. Used the coin program but maybe should of used one of the others, maybe coin/jeweler or even relic. So I searched for a little more then an hour, but only found a couple things to bad it was all junk tho. I really need tips on how to search. Ugh I hate being new and not knowing how to do something.

What I did find:
One crushed pop can with no pull-tab, a piece of can slaw, a twist-top bottle cap, and finally a broken spray top to a perfume/cologne bottle.

But no coins which is what I wanted to find but since this was my first real hunt I can not complain maybe next weekend.

Either this field is void of coins or I just suck. Anyways always next time out.

Happy Hunting,
~Tora

Don't worry my first time out I detected something at 6 inches and started digging. I started hitting something hard and I wasn't sure what it was but each time I dug my shovel into it pieces of silver colored metal would come up. So I figured whatever it was I had already broken it. Well I should have listened to my girlfriend when she said I think you broke your shovel because when I finally gave up and pulled it out half of my shovel was gone.

If you would like some advice I would say go to the nearest kids play area - schools or parks - and dig almost everything. You will have success , you will learn how your machine works and you will feel rewarded for the effort. In my 26 years detecting this is my 2 cents worth. Good luck, Steve in so az

Yep, I have a DFX and the tot lots are great for learning the machine. Go over the area with each setting ( coins, jewelry, etc) and see what you find. Give me a yell at [email protected] if you need anything else. :yes: I'm still learning myself.

Wayne

I just bought my DFX also and can't wait to get out with it. The suggestion of starting in a tot lot is an excellent idea. If you are new to detecting in general I would also suggest Jeff Fosters book "Digging Deeper with the DFX". I have learned a wealth of information about the DFX from this book and feel a lot more confident that when I do finally take it out for the first time I will have better success than if I just read the owners manual. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey there. I've just started MDing this year with a Spectrum XLT. I used the preset coin or coin/jewelry setting a lot as the was the most recommended thing to do. But those settings only make one tone, no matter what the VDI of the object. I just found the setting that makes a different tone for each VDI, and, man, it's a whole new world out there. I'm not saying don't use the presets, but make sure, if the presets only have the one tone, that you find this other setting.
I wish I had found it earlier so my ears would be better trained by now.

It happens like that to all of us Tora !!! Last Sunday produce a penny and a pocket full of junk for me !!

I never really have any luck in tot lots...but I did find a sac dollar in one. In our parks city wide they always add about 6-7 inches of wood bark in spring and fall, makes it hard. You guys with the new DFX>>>stick with pre set programs. If very trashy you should be using the coin program.. The coin/jewelry program less discrimination...more junk at this point for you. Also if you guys are going to be hitting trashy parks a smaller coil is a must. You will get varied opinions...I like the 5.3 Eclipse, some like the 4x6, take your pick you will need one!

Thank You All, just reminds me why I like this forum so much.

Yes I do agree, I do need to find some tot-lots in my area. Hard part being that they do not have beds of plastic, ie the doom of MD'ers. I will have my eyes out looking for wood-chip or non-plastic bed tot-lots. But, off hand the only ones I do know of around here are on school properties and having some creepy guy(me) in the tot-lots on school property gives me ideas of Adam 12 and Barney Fiffe showing up. :lol:

I did notice a lot of drop out audio signals tho, so I am guessing lots of iron and or items that the coin program is discriminating.

I do need to pick up Jeff's book for sure almost done reading my copy of Jimmy Sierra book "Understanding White's DFX". I did notice from the last time I was out that having headphones helped me a lot. I will wait on the smaller coil till I get more use out of my DFX and the standard coil.

Again Thanks, you are all the reason why I am here.

Back
Top Bottom