% Cut to hunt on someone elses property?

Usuall I do not run into the problem, however once in a while you will, so once you show folks a pocket full of old dirty clad, they are'nt too interested, but......if they persist, I match what I find Face Value. Say I find a pocket full of Rosies, I give them 10 new dimes.
For Wheaties Nickles etc, match them penny for penny. The "Relics" ie Hotwheels, Bullets, etc, they are not too concerned, and most folks not too interested in the jewelry I find, I suppose they dont believe it could be real.
This has only been the case Twice, so Just ask.:lol:

I agree if u make an offer up front, they will assume there is something valuable in their yard, just ask permission, and don't even bring up an splits

The only way to make an honest split would be to sell everything you find and divide that. I wouldn't offer to split anything. I'd just ask if the know of anything that they have lost. Have them describe it. Tell them that you'll keep an eye out for it, and then return it, if you find it.

Card Me

I thought about making cards for the soccer/baseball parks and posting at ranger stations. Maybe charge for lost rings, 5% of value, paid up front with no guarantee to find.

Maybe that $15k diamond is worth the finders fee?

....unless she's a good look...I mean good cook!:lol:

I thought about making cards for the soccer/baseball parks and posting at ranger stations. Maybe charge for lost rings, 5% of value, paid up front with no guarantee to find.

Maybe that $15k diamond is worth the finders fee?

....unless she's a good look...I mean good cook!:lol:

thats funny, i'm glad my mechanic doesn't charge like that with no guarantee to fix :lol:

how old?
oldhouse.jpg
is the house i mean

Nice ;)

i offer free finding of anything they can identify prior to the hunt and anything historical goes to the local museum (if there is one), otherwise, mine for the effort, batteries, etc.

Cookies

The houses in question have good sized yards (several hours worth of MDing each) and the houses look original to the 1800s time period.

She better have a big plate of steaming fresh just out of the oven chocolate chip cookies too! And skip the lemonade, I will take a beer!

Do you guys just pull into someones driveway and knock on their door? There's a farm by me and that was my plan until I pulled into the driveway and noticed no trespassing for any reason signs posted on each side of the driveway. I obviously turned around hoping not to hear gun shots.

I don't offer anything unless they ask what if I find something valuable, then I deflect the question by asking them if they have lost anything specific they want me to look for while I'm hunting. I have yet to hear no. If they were to say no then it would be have a nice day and move on. I have so many places I have permission for that I haven't even gotten to yet. I mostly work on historic houses and just about every square foot of dirt around here has about as much potential as any other.

I think any act of good faith will help you if you think you need an extra push to get a yes. Might be as simple as a coffee.

Sounds like it could be a can of worms. I think Id just ask permission and leave it at that. If I can't keep what I find, why would I be looking there in the first place. A little common sense would go a long way. If I found a ring or something that was obviously theirs Id give it to them. But if I can't keep what I find there is not much point to the exercise.

Maybe dress well and bring a briefcase when you knock and after they realize you are NOT a salesman, IRS or Jehovah Witness they will be so relieved you can get a green light.

Back
Top Bottom