• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Eminent Domain"

BlamKing

Forum Supporter
I was researching a potential ghost town, and found that it is claimed by the State of Vermont as eminent domain. Does anyone know what this would mean in terms of metal detecting? There are hiking trails around it, so I don't think its dangerous, and I highly doubt anyone would bother me if I just went ahead and detected, but I am still unsure about the legality. As far as I can tell, it's not in the national register of historic places, but it may be in a state park.

Eminent domain typically refers to land that can be or was siezed or can be siezed by a government entity as a compulsory land transaction for some fee that the government deems necessary and/or adequate. An example would be a municipality claiming a property using "eminent domain" such as the last private property in the way of a highway project. It's government land or property, eminent domain just refers to the way in which they claim or claimed the property.

maybe / maybe not

when they seized all the neighborhoods around Jerry Jones new Cowboy stadium (and paid the owners fair market value) the city immediately posted no trespassing signs

the doctirne of eminent domain (goes back to English common law) allowed the city of Arlington to force the sale of property to a private concern (Dallas Cowboys) so it passed from one private (group) of owner(s) to another in a very short time span (til the ink dried on the paper work)

to put it plainly, Vermont had to demonstrate the commom good of the state or its people in order to seize the land and there will be public documents to that effect

another possible way The Man can seize property is through another common law concept known as escheat, whereby land deemed of some common value is abandoned or somehow forfeited with no claim by heirs or lien and does not require anyone to establish eminent domain

your best bet to find its current owner is to check the county records (even if they are an untaxed entity the plat or parcel map will show it)

that being said, if its not posted or fenced Id go for it too

Texas specific

well apparently the eminent domain issue with Rick Perry and the Trans Texas Corridor thing didnt keep voters from nominating him for a 3rd term

(a plan to take private land and build a tollroad owned 50% by Spanish and Saudi corporations

what will they come up with next?

Check out :
http://www.vtfpr.org/lands/UsesofStateLandsPolicy11.14.2008.pdf
http://www.vtstateparks.com/pdfs/2008rule.pdf

I was interested to find that Fish and Wildlife dept lands prohibit the use of metal detectors. This means the state boat landing are prohibited.

If you are interested in VT ghost towns, check out the Ely Copper Mine. If you look at some of the old map web sites you can see where there were schools, churches and a store. Now when you drive by there is very little to see. I have not detected the site but it might have some good finds. I believe the land is in private ownership. Might be something fun to check out.

I was researching a potential ghost town, and found that it is claimed by the State of Vermont as eminent domain. Does anyone know what this would mean in terms of metal detecting? There are hiking trails around it, so I don't think its dangerous, and I highly doubt anyone would bother me if I just went ahead and detected, but I am still unsure about the legality. As far as I can tell, it's not in the national register of historic places, but it may be in a state park.

im just bellow white river jct , send me a message some time maybe we can get a hunt going josh

Back
Top Bottom