buying and selling stocks

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Maybe some of you have had success in this area. Here is my history.

several years ago put money with a well known brokerage firm to manage. in three months they managed to lose me about 2%. Note: Found out they don't really manage your money. They ask you a few risk related questions and just put you in a mix of stocks and bonds and forget about you. They sell bad performers and buy better performers. You seem to have to have a very hefty investment north of $1,000,000 to get that kind of tender loving care.

decided to learn to trade on my own and opened an account with another well known brokerage firm and used their paper trading system. Studied and learned and paper trade for about 1 1/2 years and made money and lost money and after all was said and done made a modest amount around 2%.

lot of daily work for a rather small return. used various methods with a program called stock fetcher which you can program to display stocks that meet your criteria and placed those trades with conservative stops placed to prevent large losses.

so the question is anyone having success in trading on their own behalf and any methods you use that are successful? I am basically a chartists rather than one who buys the stocks on the financial fundamentals of a stock.

Have read more than a few books on the subject of trading stocks. Every book has some great claims, but none have really panned out for me.

I just do index funds in my Roth’s and stay away from individual stocks. Last few years have been SWEEEET!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to pick individual stocks is some serious risky business, even the top guys can't seem to beat index funds over the long term...

several years ago put money with a well known brokerage firm to manage. in three months they managed to lose me about 2%. Note: Found out they don't really manage your money. They ask you a few risk related questions and just put you in a mix of stocks and bonds and forget about you. They sell bad performers and buy better performers. You seem to have to have a very hefty investment north of $1,000,000 to get that kind of tender loving care.

decided to learn to trade on my own and opened an account with another well known brokerage firm and used their paper trading system. Studied and learned and paper trade for about 1 1/2 years and made money and lost money and after all was said and done made a modest amount around 2%.

lot of daily work for a rather small return. used various methods with a program called stock fetcher which you can program to display stocks that meet your criteria and placed those trades with conservative stops placed to prevent large losses.

so the question is anyone having success in trading on their own behalf and any methods you use that are successful? I am basically a chartists rather than one who buys the stocks on the financial fundamentals of a stock.

Have read more than a few books on the subject of trading stocks. Every book has some great claims, but none have really panned out for me.

It really depends on what you are after. I, for example, invest primarily for income and secondarily for growth. I don’t trade in and out, I invest for the long term.

I have no bonds, or bond mutual funds. I figure my Social Security and my pension already represent a sizable “bond like’ holding. I am invested in around 15 stocks, 5 REITs and around 7 mutual funds. They all have one thing in common, they all pay dividends.

I can share with you the ticker symbols of my investment if there is any interest.

I follow the trades of a guy who works for Motley Fool...he is very, very good. His name is Simon Erickson. He releases 3 "Growth" stocks in January of each year...and tracks them until December of the same year...his yearly return average is around 63% ROI since 2014.

**Disclaimer...I don't trust a single thing Motley Fool says...but this guy, he's legit.**

For 2019, he chose TTD, MDB, and NTNX. So far, YTD...he's averaging about 49% ROI. I think it's too late for you to invest in some of these to maximize your returns...I think you'd want to invest in January to maximize ROI.

If you follow him on Twitter, he gives out good advice on companies that he likes. He likes XLNX right now a lot...and they tanked pretty big recently from a massive selloff due to future guidance. However, he thinks people were overreacting...it might be worth a look now that it has sold off. It's at $119 a share right now.

I use E-trade. I have had made some great investments, took the money and ran, and I have had some dismal failures. Overall I have done better than my 401k and another retirement fund.Much better. I use mine basically as a savings account
I try to buy on bad news for good companies. How low will Boeing go? Did real good buying coal stocks when no one thought Trump could win then selling almost all when he won. Those coal companies ended up bankrupt, I would have lost it all if I wouldn't have timed the sale right
I don't know your situation but if it won't hurt you to gamble a few grand, try it, you might like it. I'm just playing with hundreds of dollars, but I've been able several times to turn hundreds to thousands, just in time for the car to blow up, the fridge to go out,or the lawn mower to catch fire.

I am very successful in my investing. I retired early 50's and live off my investing and trading.

Here are my opinions.

Goals: a) an 8 to 10% return per year on my money
b) beat inflation
c) meet or beat the indexes

I don't believe much in charts. Charts are good for short term trading and momentum trading. Fundamentals are there for the long term investor. Earnings of a company will drive the price up or down. Look at the top 500 companies and buy the ones that have increase earnings and a PE that is not to far from their 5 or 10 year average.

Easiest way to invest with the least amount of risk. Buy the S&P index fund (SPY) and dollar cost average into it.

I am very successful in my investing. I retired early 50's and live off my investing and trading.

Here are my opinions.

b) beat inflation

I don't believe much in charts. Charts are good for short term trading and momentum trading. Fundamentals are there for the long term investor. Earnings of a company will drive the price up or down. Look at the top 500 companies and buy the ones that have increase earnings and a PE that is not to far from their 5 or 10 year average.

Easiest way to invest with the least amount of risk. Buy the S&P index fund (SPY) and dollar cost average into it.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my opinions.

b) beat inflation

That is good advice. Between dividends and price appreciation, I've been averaging around 12% return per year. It's not an easy calculation to make, because I take money out of the brokerage account to supplement my pension and Social Security, and Uncle Sam makes me take money out of my IRA.

Back
Top Bottom