Brand new to this and need some starter info

bullofspadez

Hello everyone, I have never been detecting but think that me and my child can have some fun with it. Staying away from the price range for now... I am looking for an ATV of detectors.

I live near freshwater but might get out to some ocean beaches at some point so i would like to have something that can handle both.

But for those times inland i would need something that can handle that as well.

And of course never havin done this before I would like something forgiving and easy to read/understand.

finally if you have any other ideas as far as interchangeable parts and battery packs or 4 AA batteries styles

Also to go along with the parts question is the 4.5" coil a good idea or does it really make a difference...other than the ground you can cover in a timeframe.

I have read some of the posts on the ace 250 and have checked out the manufacturers website and it looks like an easy to read/understand detector...but haven't really read anything about its overall versatility compared to others... so thanks for the replies in advance and i hope this helps me figure somethings out

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately in my experience for what you're looking for , you will need a price range to help narrow down your choice. The Ace 250 is a great starter detector but is limited in some ays as to how well it will perform under certain conditions. Where are you from? If you intend on doing a lot of salt water or salt beach hunting then this is really a very limited detector in that area. If you just want to have fun then its the one to get. Please give us a little more info as to where you want to primarly hunt and what you primarily want to hunt for. That way we can all give you a better idea of what to get.
Thanks.
http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Welcome to the forum and hobby.Deciding the price range is very important. Some other things to think about. Do you specifically want a target ID machine or tone ID? Do you plan on your child using it? Does weight make a difference? I believe if you answer these and the questions Tony asked you be able to buy a machine that will suit you for years to come.

Well i didn't want to give a price range until i got some feedback on what people felt on versatility. I live near lake Ontario, so mostly dark soil and some clay inland and i would guess to say "regular" fresh water beaches. For now i will probably stay near home but if a trip to the coastal beaches came up is why i asked for feedback on salt water beaches... I think for now my kid will just do some digging while i work the detector so weight not a concern. as far as price range i would have to say having never done this before I am not looking to make a huge investment right away... say $300 tops. Also would like to bring up the "add ons" question again...anything that the "you can't live without" statement brings up. Thanks for the help so far.

Also if anyone wants to explain the benefits between a tone or target machine...looks like the ace 250 is kinda both...hard to get away from the loooking at the ace 250 with everyone seeming to mention it in high regards...

The Ace250 is a great starter detector. A lot of fun with some good features. For the money you cannot beat it really if you want target id and a simple tone ID. Now comes the hard part ; are there any other detectors filling in there. The Fisher 1236X2 is an excellent detector but no target ID. This will go deeper and will pinpoint better. For a little more money is the Minelab Xterra30 and the Whites Prizm IV as well as the Tesoro Cibola. If you picked any of these you'll do OK.

Thank you for all the replies.

Bringing up a few more points. Ideas for adding a little depth, like coil covers so you can get to the ground or different size coils for getting more out of it. not sure how all the other things you can buy can help but willing to get everything out of it that i can...also has anyone have any ideas or websites about making modifications to detectors (namely waterproofing, or that sort of things)...and do beginners use "probes"? I have never used a MD so i am not sure how the coils pick up the frequency do they scan down or does it pick up stuff that is in any range of the coils...is it like using a stud finder the edge that it picks up should give the idea that thats where the object is. I guess its pinpointing...any links to techniques or technical info on how and where the coils start to become active?

OK I'll pause for the next group of questions

hi Bullofspades!! I have an ace 250 and a Quickdraw II and In my opinion they are both great machines. I have to say that I am begining to like the ace better. I feel that I have more control over adjustments. And they both work very well near lake ontario, as I live 3 miles from the lake, in sackets harbor, ny. If you are close It would be cool if you wanted to stop by and check out both machines, and mabey even get in a hunt!!! HH

Thanks for the great replies; getting me more psyched by the minute...and i am in Rochester so going to the harbor might be a little much but thanks for the offer and who knows maybe if i get to the islands this summer we'll run into eachother...

And thanks for not getting too in depth with technical info, would prolly loose me real fast, since i have never picked a MD up before. but i think my best bet is you get the cover and play until i see how "trashy" the areas i want to work are...then go big for depth or do the sniper coil...but thanks for all the help and i think as soon as i can get the cash I'll give Tony an E mail to see what we can work out...you folks are great and I will probably post a first find on here. thanks again, Jay

Jay,
Before you go too crazy with add ons for the Ace 250, I would consider spending that "extra" on a better detector that may outperform the Ace with the accessories. The Ace is a good machine for the money, but some of the accessories can cost almost as much as the detector.

well i won't be buying all the add-ons at once...just after i get used to the machine and see which would benefit me more...so cost will be deferred over time. I wish i could go for a little more machine to grow into.

so i pose this question...rather than buying the Ace and adding on over time...anyone got some ideas on what won't break my bank for a one time perchase that will keep me from needing add-ons? Say instead of $200 now and $whatever over time...or say $300 now and not need to spend more later.

Back
Top Bottom