Bank told me to take a hike.

I tried the CR one time. Got shorted by a buck. No more. Sticking to detecting.:stormy:

I encourage you to try again. I have been keeping track of this since you posted on one of my threads. I have been shorted a couple times, but I have also made out a couple times. Today, my change was around $121 and It returned $124.16. Sometimes you get more, and sometimes you loose, but it all evens out. It's not as fun as detecting, but I gotta do something in the winter. :)

It is a service they offer. Many banks do not mind helping you in this hobby, but even if a bank decides it is not in their best interests, they can politley explain that the cost do not outweigh the benefits for them to keep supplying. I don't think the OP is mad because they stopped supplying, but rather that they did it in a very rude way. Many banks offer both coin returns and buying coin rolls as a service, so it is nothing like cutting someone off in traffic.

i would agree with you.but that would make both of us wrong.small businesses pay extra for large amounts of change.they pay for that service.your not garanted that service just becouse your a member

i would agree with you.but that would make both of us wrong.small businesses pay extra for large amounts of change.they pay for that service.your not garanted that service just becouse your a member

Perhaps it's different by you, but my wife works retail and orders boxes from the bank. No fees associated for the business she works at either. There are fees with checking accounts and other services that some banks provide free of charge for being a customer. I buy lots of boxes. The week of Christmas, I purchased over $3,000 in coins from one bank and there was no fee.
I guess I should be grateful I have some great banks by me, because a fee would stop this hobby for me.

I agree with Longbeard - Ordering bulk coins costs the bank money. If you have a large account there (maybe a retail business), they'll eat the cost in order to keep you as an account holder. If you're John Doe the CRHer, they'll probably want to charge you for ordering coins. I did a *little* CRHing a couple years ago, only bought $100 worth of halves at a time. My bank where I have my checking account, and a CD, was happy to get halves for me, they just asked me to call ahead and let the vault teller know what I wanted. I suppose if I'd wanted a couple boxes at a time, it might have been a different story.

I agree with Longbeard - Ordering bulk coins costs the bank money. If you have a large account there (maybe a retail business), they'll eat the cost in order to keep you as an account holder. If you're John Doe the CRHer, they'll probably want to charge you for ordering coins. I did a *little* CRHing a couple years ago, only bought $100 worth of halves at a time. My bank where I have my checking account, and a CD, was happy to get halves for me, they just asked me to call ahead and let the vault teller know what I wanted. I suppose if I'd wanted a couple boxes at a time, it might have been a different story.

I guess I'm not making myself clear. I am John Doe the coin roll hunter and they DO NOT charge a fee. Many others do the same thing that are on this forum and they are not charged a fee. Many banks provide this service to their customers. It may not be the same in all areas, but I'm telling you that some banks do not charge a fee and actually offer this as a service. I am the average guy with an average checking account that you are talking about and I buy $500-$1000 per week in coins. I am not ever charged a fee. The tellers are happy to help me with my coin needs, so far.

I am grateful for this service, but it is a free service so far. If and when they change this service to include a fee, I just hope they are polite about it and not rude. Fees are picked up by the bank, and I am glad that they provide this service to me.

My roommate teases me that he's found a billion more old coins in his tip jar at Starbucks than I have in a month of MDing. :(

Yeah I will tell the people I know working registers and receiving tip jars what to look for. They might not be into it but those jobs don't pay much and buying up collectible coins can be a nice boost with a steady supply.

Sometimes I'm almost jealous 8)

Yeah I was thinking about taking that approach, just buy a few rolls at a time during withdrawals consistently and spend them off as much as is convenient. They truly hate handling coin, I never really understood why they care about the boxes though. It is already counted. They probably take out their aggression for the people dumping coin on their bank, on the people picking up the boxes.

Back
Top Bottom