CRH Dissapointment

Pulled 3 silver dimes out of a single box today: 2 late 50's and a 1947 Canadian Silver Dime. Maybe I'll take an image and post it.

Woot!

I'm a huge fan of crhing cents. There is so much fun stuff to look for. It takes me a couple of run throughs to get through a box, but after I'm done I usually always find several keepers.

First run through: seperate into 4 piles: zincolns, copper, 82s, wheats. I then 2x2 all the wheats and date when I pulled them.
Second run through: seperate 82s into copper and zinc (if possible I put together 7 coin sets)
Third run through: Copper sorting: There are 6 varieties I look for. If I find one I put it in a 2x2. I'll also pull pre 70 BU examples. After I'm done I dump all the remaining copper coins into a bucket.
Fourth run through: Zincolns... Till recently I didn't bother with these, but I've found I get a big kick out of em now. There are 18 varieties that I'm looking for. I generally always find at least one of the things I'm looking for. After I'm done I dump all these into another bucket.

After it's all said and done I return the bucket full of zincolns to the bank.
After the bucket of copper gets close to $50 in face I run an auction on ebay.
I generally save everything else.

I kind of need to start thinking about doing something else with the pulled wheats. When I first started 2x2ing them I did it because I thought they would be special... and they are... but... there are more out there in circulation than you'd think. I've pulled more than 2000 of these things out of boxes.

I'm a huge fan of crhing cents. There is so much fun stuff to look for. It takes me a couple of run throughs to get through a box, but after I'm done I usually always find several keepers.

First run through: seperate into 4 piles: zincolns, copper, 82s, wheats. I then 2x2 all the wheats and date when I pulled them.
Second run through: seperate 82s into copper and zinc (if possible I put together 7 coin sets)
Third run through: Copper sorting: There are 6 varieties I look for. If I find one I put it in a 2x2. I'll also pull pre 70 BU examples. After I'm done I dump all the remaining copper coins into a bucket.
Fourth run through: Zincolns... Till recently I didn't bother with these, but I've found I get a big kick out of em now. There are 18 varieties that I'm looking for. I generally always find at least one of the things I'm looking for. After I'm done I dump all these into another bucket.

After it's all said and done I return the bucket full of zincolns to the bank.
After the bucket of copper gets close to $50 in face I run an auction on ebay.
I generally save everything else.

I kind of need to start thinking about doing something else with the pulled wheats. When I first started 2x2ing them I did it because I thought they would be special... and they are... but... there are more out there in circulation than you'd think. I've pulled more than 2000 of these things out of boxes.

Sounds like you've got it down to a science. I think pennies are great because they're cheap, you get a lot to look through, I can save the copper so I always have something to keep, and I think there is the best chance of finding early examples (teens-30s) than other denominations. It's always a good time hunting pennies

I thought about it, but my local CoinStar charges 9.5 cents on the dollar so to change in $500 would cost me around $50. I think I'll just slowly spend them and change in small amounts here and there. Also thought it would be fun to use them for skeet-shooting...if only I were rich :roll:

You need a bank that offers free coin counting machine access to customers with accounts.

Back
Top Bottom