Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by hooper1 View post
I didn't when I first started but the noise of the detector going off attracts more attention.

I dont have anybody to metal detect with so I talk to self.
My old Garrett 2500 talks to me. Headphones also give you a longer battery life. By wearing headphones I remove them when people ask me a question even though I can hear them. When I get tired of their questions, I put them back on and act like I can't hear them. They get tired of trying and leave.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by RustedShut View post
I wear headphones. Always have always will. A newbie good friend of mine does not. My wife thinks you should not wear them while detecting with friends. Harder to have conversation. I bet her 90% of you wear headphones. Please dont let me down!
Pffft headphones are just a fad!

In all seriousness... In my opinion there's no need for them, so as long as you have good hearing. I find plenty of stuff and never use them anymore.

& as far as battery life... well, since I use a T2 battery life lasts months at a time! I feel for you all out there with horrible battery life... I really do!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by hooper1 View post
I didn't when I first started but the noise of the detector going off attracts more attention.

I dont have anybody to metal detect with so I talk to self.
I was the same way, I noticed the people checking me out when I found a target....after a couple weeks, I started using headphones....I believe it also extends the life of your battery as well. I won't hunt in public without them again.

HDD

Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 PM

You would be surprised how many people can't hear your detector from a distance if you don't use headphones.

There have been plenty of times where I was approached by people and I always ask "did you come over here cause you heard all my beeping?" They are ALWAYS like, "What beeping?"

Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 AM

Default headphones

Wear em all time when detecting

Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Wear all the time also, plus better for the batteries...also with winter keeps the ears warm.

hh

Old 11-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Elite Member

Yes, I wear headphones and love them. A tip I came across , cut a pair of black socks to fit over the earpieces to absorb the sweat in the summer. I haven't tried it yet , however.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Elite Member

I wear them and I also made my buddy wear his.. When he first got his machine he was hunting without his phones.. I could hear all his loud shallow targets and they sounded like faint deep targets coming from my machine.. It was aggravating to say the least.. Hunting without phones around anyone IMO is akin to talking loud on your cell phone while sitting in a restaurant. It seems rude and obtrusive..

Just my opinion..

<*)))>{

Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Elite Member

Default Odd man out

Well I have been hunting for about 4 years with a serious machine and have never owned a pair of headphones, much less used any. I hunt in the very heart of the inner city ... and it is absolutely necessary to have nothing block my hearing ... just hearing a trunk being opened in a certain manner can be the signal to "become invisible" in a hurry. It might be nice to try in a safer environment, but where I live and work that is just not the case.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

I do, won't hunt without them.
It feels weird and it draws too much attention in the public parks I usually hunt.

Most signals you can hear without them pretty well, but there are some that you would miss and I don't care how good you think your hearing is.

To me the sound of that tone and all that goes into it is everything.
The beginning, the end, the clarity and volume and more and I could never hear all that I listen for through that speaker.

I hunt with others, we all wear them and we still communicate fine when that is needed.

There are types with only one ear cup so you can still hear what is going on around you if that is what you prefer.

Decent types aren't too bad in the summer, and do keep your ears warmer in colder weather.

Also most people assume you can't hear them and will leave you alone so that is a bonus.
Except kids, of course.

Sincerely, the opportunist."

Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Elite Member

Default Headphones...

I wear Headphones always, But Mainly Wireless! Hps are not a battery Issue because I have a Woman's sized Toiletry Bag (larger than a Shaving kit) full of rechargeable's. It's a Simple fact you will hear your MD better, have way less visitors, and way less Rubberneckers! MD Tones are like Kid and Idiot magnets, I prefer the kids to the Idiots.... GL & HH.......Pat

Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Elite Member

I hang sometimes my earphones no my neck when using my ACE250
if I detect in beaches.At the fields I let the ACE speak loud and clear

Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 AM
24K Larry

Everyone should wear headphones. I was detecting a school once and heard a guy who wasn't using them from half a mile away. Not good to annoy others with noise. Wouldn't suggest walking in the woods without headphones during deer season that is for sure. Someone may aim at all the beeping and make it stop. At the beach you could get knocked out working a towel line. Seen fights over stereos. Detector beeping you might get a broken jaw from someone who has been drinking in the hot sun all day. Headphones are cheap insurance. Would you have your kids birthday party next to a farting competition? If you would I'm wasting my time

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Elite Member

i rarely wear phones, i use earbuds instead. they're very lightweight, not hot like phones, can still hear surrounding sounds/voices, saves battery power, still get the full range of tones and the quiet chirps of deeper targets.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by itsaring! View post
Everyone should wear headphones. I was detecting a school once and heard a guy who wasn't using them from half a mile away. Not good to annoy others with noise. Wouldn't suggest walking in the woods without headphones during deer season that is for sure. Someone may aim at all the beeping and make it stop. At the beach you could get knocked out working a towel line. Seen fights over stereos. Detector beeping you might get a broken jaw from someone who has been drinking in the hot sun all day. Headphones are cheap insurance. Would you have your kids birthday party next to a farting competition? If you would I'm wasting my time
This...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Elite Member

I used to hunt with a guy that had an Ace 350. He didn't think there was a need for headphones.

After hunting together for a few minutes, I offered him a pair of my used headphones. I insisted he use them, if I were hunting anywhere near him.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Elite Member

I think you will find the vast majority of experienced hunters wear headphones. If I feel I need to be a little more aware, I just wear them on one ear.

Mostly when this discussion comes up, it is a few of the newer guys who don't wear headphones. I hunt with a buddy sometimes who refuses to wear headphones and he has been detecting for 10+ years. He drives me crazy

Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Elite Member

I used to hate wearing them but now won't go without them,have to wear them to hear the deep faint signals.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by richbat View post
I used to hate wearing them but now won't go without them,have to wear them to hear the deep faint signals.
Especially confortable is wearing them when it's hot and wet weather

Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

Always. I don't think I'd even go without them unless I was hunting the woods or field. If I'm with a buddy and want to speak, we just signal one another and move one earphone. Usually we keeping the talking to a bare minimum anyway.