• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

old shot of some type?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
A friend of mine found this about 7 inches down in his front yard. It weighs about 12 grams and is about the size of a marble. No battles near us, otherwise we were thinking canon shot or some such.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 54483673010__9523BA85-ECF6-4F00-9287-ACD2BDAB789E.jpg
    54483673010__9523BA85-ECF6-4F00-9287-ACD2BDAB789E.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 238
I suppose there is the chance it is a modern day muzzle loader ball. In any case, nice find.

I suppose there is the chance it is a modern day muzzle loader ball. In any case, nice find.

I thought the same thing, but it was 7 inches down...I'm leaning towards an old muzzle loader ball....but in steel would have been rare I think

I thought the same thing, but it was 7 inches down...I'm leaning towards an old muzzle loader ball....but in steel would have been rare I think
Oh this is a steel ball? HHMMMM Well I don't know. Ah a mystery has evolved.;):yes:

It looks to be hard chrome plated....I'm thinking a bearing. That would explain the lack of rust.

Your friend found it in his yard. Could there have been some fill brought in at some time, or the yard rototilled at some point. That would explain the depth.

Your friend found it in his yard. Could there have been some fill brought in at some time, or the yard rototilled at some point. That would explain the depth.

It's definitely possible, but I doubt that they had any brought in, as I'm sure he'd have mentioned it (especially since I had a LOT of fill brought in at my house last year for our new septic) but I'll ask him today.

The home was built in 1940....he's been there since the early 80's, and there have been only three owners. To his knowledge there's never been any fill brought in. The home used to be farmland many, many years ago. If it weren't steel, I'd say it was from a smoothbore musket.

Back
Top Bottom