• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Adding a Pin Pointer Tip Protector does NOT affect affect field of detection... but...

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
You will see a shortened length between the object and the "end" of what you're detecting with. It's because you have to account for the thickness of the pin pointer tip protector.

I made this video for a customer who was asking why the distance was shorter (he was concerned the tip protector was degrading the signal). Once he saw the video, the concern was alleviated, and he now understands it was just "different." These tip protectors, btw, do NOT stop the Garrett Pro Pointer (or other pin pointers if you're buying in those sizes) from "getting tone" on an object. They are only 60 mils thick (.06 inches).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZEzcTQd-I

Cheers!

Skippy

Last edited:
Video link not working for me. I have not noticed anything using the tip protectors. My pinpointer works just the same.

Video link not working for me. I have not noticed anything using the tip protectors. My pinpointer works just the same.

The auto video seems hit an miss, depending on what system I use, too. Try now. I used a direct link, this time...

I put the hard copy link below the video. Clicking that should take you to the youtube vid.

Cheers,

Skippy

The only "tip protector" I use is PlastiDip. Doesn't seem to affect it at all.

Attachments

• pp2.JPG
    pp2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 609
Don't need a tip protector!

Seems to me that a tip protector is kind of silly and useless. Most pinpointers I used and seen in the field have never shown enough signs of being severely worn down to remotely warrant a tip protector.

Seems to me that a tip protector is kind of silly and useless. Most pinpointers I used and seen in the field have never shown enough signs of being severely worn down to remotely warrant a tip protector.

They perform some very important functions:

1) They DO prevent wear. If you've only seen pin pointers with little wear, you've not seen what we have. :) I actually wore through TWO Garrett Pro Pointers (they had flat spots which leads to problem #2).

2) There is a ferrous "core" inside the pinpointer end. This core is where the detection field is generated. The outside of the pinpointer (or "casing") actually provides more than just elemental protection for this core. It prevents it from FLEXING. When the core flexes, it falses. And if the core breaks, you've got a bad pinpointer.

So... Tip protectors do THREE things for your pin pointer, each of which builds on the last.

1) Prevent wear. Better solution than fixing the problem after the wear happens. Wear results in a few different things... I've been contacted by buyers who ask if the tip protector will protect their device even if they've already worn a HOLE in the tip (seriously! A hole! No more water proof, that's for sure!)
2) Prevents flex by adding rigidity to the device, AND by preventing wear, the core is not is not compromised. Anyone who presses a Garrett Pro Pointer and hears falsing (DON'T TRY THIS!) knows what happens when flex gets involved.
3) Prevents core breakage by preventing flex.

Do you absolutely NEED a tip protector? Maybe not. Maybe YOUR personal pin pointer use style is touch and jab. Faster styles where you're wiping the pin pointer across the ground or swirling it in the dirt clod (or even using it as a digger), will wear the material faster.

I can tell you one thing absolutely for CERTAIN. Since I started using tip protectors, I've never had a pin pointer fail due to flex/material loss... Prior to using one, BOTH pin pointers I had got warranty service for it. My current pin pointer has been in service, now, 5 months LONGER than either of the other two pin pointers were, and it shows NO wear on the tip (heck, the awesome tip protector is barely scuffed!)

For just a few bucks to not be down due to a preventable failure? That's cheap. Plus, you can scrape and swirl with abandon and never worry about wearing the tip down, anyway!

Cheers!

Skippy

I got a couple of those "silly and useless" tip protectors from Skippy and they are darn well worth it.

I got a couple of those "silly and useless" tip protectors from Skippy and they are darn well worth it.

Thanks, CI guy, glad you like them. :) I spent a lot of time in prototype and test, and think they came out fantastic. They certainly were a much needed addition to the hobby, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Skippy

Always use a tip protector.. You never know what your tip can catch when you're out in the wilderness.
Best tip protector I can think of, is a couple wraps of plastic electrical tape. Probably costs me all of about 5¢ each time I change it out, about every couple months. Tip still looks new.

Remember folks; keep those tips protected...

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 502

You know, I always thought the same thing. Like, what are these guys doing with their pin pointers that they need a "tip protector". Then again, I hunt in soil, soft and sweet, almost exclusively. Those times where conditions where sandy/gravely or rocky, I could see how some severe wear could take place. If that's all you got to hunt in, I'd have one.

You know, I always thought the same thing. Like, what are these guys doing with their pin pointers that they need a "tip protector". Then again, I hunt in soil, soft and sweet, almost exclusively. Those times where conditions where sandy/gravely or rocky, I could see how some severe wear could take place. If that's all you got to hunt in, I'd have one.

I see your point.

Are you running any specials on them for the carrot? Can we get them directly from you or on eBay?

I've sent you a PM, but for anyone else interested in a $1 discount off.. Just PM me, and I'll send you my paypal email address where you can send me the $7. It works fine that way, too, but please include your mailing address, so I can input the shipping manually.

If you prefer I send you an invoice, just send me YOUR email address. That's all that's needed if we go that route.

Cheers,

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom