Need help with i.d.on token

RCook

Hi all, I found this this morning tried some research but came up empty. Its aluminum, I'm guessing from the 50's or 60's. It reminds me of a shell gas station promo or something like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck !

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 250
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 234
That is good luck amusement token sold at fairs, arcades and other tourist places.
You punch in your own letters and numbers and the machine imprints them for you and these have been around for a long time...still exist in some places.
This guy just punched in his own name but there was space for more.
Finding one with a date is special, but they can have almost anything on them.
Pretty common as a basic token but still a neat find and some have some weird or cool stuff on them.

Attachments

• harvardr-2.jpg
    harvardr-2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 213
Hi all, I found this this morning tried some research but came up empty. Its aluminum, I'm guessing from the 50's or 60's. It reminds me of a shell gas station promo or something like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck !

That is a "Metal Typer Token", the name on it was probably the guy who spent a few cents at the fair/store to make himself a good luck token. I think they around a dime or 25¢ to make it on the machine. I've found two, one I returned, the other is in the process of returning.

If you are interested in more info, try this site:

http://www.anythreewords.com/metaltyper.php

It's an interesting collection of stories and info. In fact you can write the guy and if it's an interesting enough tale, he offers to send one you you free! I appreciate him utilizing the "preservation through use" and sent in my story with a donation. I had my own Metal Typer Token in a few weeks.

Hope this helps!!!

Cool find, but like Digger said, they're common.

Hey, unlike most of our finds this one zeros right in on the name of the guy that lost it.

Also this one is in pretty good shape, aluminum buried in the ground doesn't usually look that good.
Here is one I found in not so great shape, can't believe someone spent money on this and only used the space for 2 letters.

Attachments

• P1050283.jpg
    P1050283.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 199
Hey, unlike most of our finds this one zeros right in on the name of the guy that lost it.

:laughing: I wonder if the OP should trace him down to see if he wants his lucky token back? The poor guy is probably on a streak of bad luck since it slipped out from his pocket.

DIGGER27 beat me to it as I was going through my bookmarks to find that link! :laughing:

I really hope to return that one of mine, as it was made by a young girl who died at the age of ten in 1951. I've tracked down her sister, hope to get it in her hands soon.

I love this hobby.

I found one and found the person who lost it decades ago, actually found her daughter who we gave it to and she gave it to her mom who is in her 90s now. My wife found one today with no name, I have found 4 so far and they all had names. congrats, they are cool relics, ring up nice too!

token

Thanks for all the info everyone... I'm going to try to find the owner. It would be cool to be able to return it.

Back
Top Bottom