Brass item found in the water..

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
Reminds me of boat hardware.. Not sure what though, pretty heavy duty, cast brass....

What it be?

IMG_20150804_025110_zpsrzzdcy6q.jpg

IMG_20150804_025250_zpscwzudvcm.jpg

Thanks for looking and any guesses you might have..

<*)))>{

If you search sailboat boom crutch you will see that many of them are wood, but then I ran across this one. With hundreds or more boat manufacturers and hull designs it is very possible that there is just not a picture of this vintage one online. I imagine that since yours is short it was screwed to the cabin roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is about five inches tall though..

Seems all the boom crutches are about 2ft and bigger...

Could have gone on some type of smaller craft maybe a dingy...

<*)))>{

Also noticed a little bit of lead or solder on the top side of the curved cradle piece.. Don't know if that's a clue or not...

Thanks again everyone!!

<°)))>{

The brass piece may be the base for an old magnetic compass.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

It's not a gimbaled mount for anything, I sure of that.. The two ears don't have holes, and don't make a full half circle..

It is some type of, rest, holder, support, keeper, guide?

<°)))>{

Oh well. A shot in the dark is better than nothing. Thanks for the reply. I have only seen one gimble mount and that was 20 years ago.

Oh well. A shot in the dark is better than nothing. Thanks for the reply. I have only seen one gimble mount and that was 20 years ago.

Good guess though, someone else sugested a gimbaled oil lamp...

<°)))>{

You know I missed the scale of it next to the coins, it wasn't until you posted the pic with the Bic that I realized how small it really is. Therefore I am withdrawing my boom crutch guess and am still scratching my head...

I think the substance originally on it is an important clue. You think it was solder? Could it have been aluminum oxidation?

I think the substance originally on it is an important clue. You think it was solder? Could it have been aluminum oxidation?

It is/was lead or solder for sure, but just a little bit.. Maybe part of a jig for soldering pipes together?

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom