not found in the ground but on top, maybe you guys can help

omlambu

Alright guys, I need your help. these were found in my backyard under some brush I was clearing out. I was told my property house dates back to the early 1900's I have not verified that yet. They appear to be concrete 5 feet long and 6 inches deep with the impression 2 inches deep. any ideas.

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

Those look like molds that you'd pour molten iron or something into.

They look kind of like shovels, but those would be some REALLY heavy shovels. :shock:

Molds sure... but what about drainage things. Like you put the fat end under the pipe coming down from your homes gutters, and it directs the water out and away?

Looks like maybe something decorative cast iron mold for a fence corner or gate piece ? just a thought CNR

@sect
That would work, I'd just think they'd use some old scrap metal and make a lighter one, not a couple hundred pounds of concrete.

the drainage thing was brought up before. 1. like said why do you need hundreds of pounds of concrete to do that and 2. the funnel end is too narrow to carry the water away quickly. they may be for a fence I was just hoping to get some proof of what they are. I've had may suggestions but no real proof

Well. They COULD be molds for the drainage things. lol

I think they are some kind of drainage troughs; you can see that they were poured in a dirt trench by the rough outside edges.

The amazing thing is that they were in your yard.

Our house was built in 1905. They put in a cistern. So I know they did creative things back then to catch rainwater. So to have rainwater drain off doesn't make sense.

But really... I have no clue. :roll:

I don't suppose it use to be a cattle farm was it? At first it reminded me of something that would drain blood away, like in a butcher shop. I know... that's stupid, but that's what it reminded me of.

my only issue with them being drains is the pattern. if I were going to make some drains I would not put the pattern in the collection part.

I don't think they have anything to do with drainage. They seem to be molds. Look at the tops of the wide side, they seem to be shaped the same way. Depending on how much molten metal was poured in they could have been hammered or worked if it was a thin pour. The shape is still drawing a blank though. How about this: they are some kind of fence stake? The wide side gets hammered into the ground and wire or rope is tied or wrapped around the thin part.

I don't think they would work as molds, for one thing, concrete is heat sensitive, and would crack if molten metal was poured in it, especially on the end that is so thin. Another issue would be removing the item from the mold after it cooled, because these things are pitted, and the metal would go into the pits. All the molds I have seen were shapes put into fine sand. I think they have something to do with animal waste products--but, the mystery continues!

They are 6" thick the 2" part is the depth of the mold. They may be molds for other materials Ex. clay? they could be drains I just dont know why they had to be 6" think. to move them I had to strap them with my engine hoist. They are atleast 3-400lbs

I say they are water troughs or drains. As far as the decorative bit goes you've got to remember that back when they were made almost everything had decorative touch. people did not have all the entertainment we do today so thay had nothing else to do. A lot of tomes an aprentice would use something that did'nt really matter as a practice piece. That is why you see a lot more gingerbread as we call it on older houses.

Back
Top Bottom