Fiskars= JUNK!

Relichunter3

Elite Member
So in the past 3 days I have successfully broken 2 different fiskars diggers. I purchased them from my local P-Xtra here in Schweinfurt. The first one I got back in Late April...It took a dump on me Thursday evening...the handle broke off. I bought a new one yesterday and I just was out in the yard a few minutes ago and the first hole I dug.....disaster. And the ground is soft due to lots of recent rainfall. So just some FYI....Id stay away from fiskars brands...Ill never buy another one.

Had mine for over a YEAR and no problems, sometimes I even use it for prying! Best 10.00 ever spent...(Also carry alittle 5.00 spare) Sounds like you need a leache, I hear there the best. Sorry, about your miss fortune. It would be upsetting out in the field!:( (Good luck)

Buy some JB Metal Weld and apply it all along the crease edge. I used the SteelStick. That stuff is amazing. I use it and the plastic weld for all sorts of things.

fiskars.jpg

I really liked mine until it broke at the handle. Just not meant for prying plugs I guess. I made a warranty claim online so I assume they will send a replacement eventually.

Sometimes Manufactures

Have bad production runs so it's not uncommon to find ones from the same batch faulty . I assume these are not hand welded but rather put in a jig and roboticley welded . I have one that had no problems for over two years . I have welded and was certified and it's easy to see weld penetration on the reverse side of the weld , everything from that to undercut that will effect any welds .
I have had one that I seam fulled with JB Weld and that works to and strength .
These still are inspected by ISO but ISO only requires periodic inspection so bad ones slip through .
And they are good tools made for medium stress usage and NOT for HEAVY stressed situations . What can you expect when a 230 pound person pushes their weight on a tool when the buried object is held by years of settlement ? Something has to give and it's not always the tools fault but OPERATOR ERRORS . I have bent the $50 ones and once bent they are damn near impossible to straighten back to shape . I have broke "top of the line" Snap-On tools and I still buy them even though because like Snap-On these have a lifetime warranty so just take it back for exchange .
Sometimes it's better to buy what you can afford and use it right rather than go over your budget and skip eating ...They are good tools in the right hands and used correctly ... but they a NOT the best . IMHO , Woodstock

So in the past 3 days I have successfully broken 2 different fiskars diggers. I purchased them from my local P-Xtra here in Schweinfurt. The first one I got back in Late April...It took a dump on me Thursday evening...the handle broke off. I bought a new one yesterday and I just was out in the yard a few minutes ago and the first hole I dug.....disaster. And the ground is soft due to lots of recent rainfall. So just some FYI....Id stay away from fiskars brands...Ill never buy another one.

I have had mine for about a year now and have had no problems... :?:

after reading a ton of threads, i just saved up until i could buy a Lesche. you want a tool that can pry on things? i think that Lesche could pick up a car. :D

I like mine, $7 at Target. I don't use it as a "pry" bar, I just cut flap/plugs with it, 17 hunts ~ 40 hrs maybe tops so far and I like it.

Mine looks like Gatch's image.

Yeah, is a sod cutting tool, not a digger, not a prying tool. Going on two years with my first Fiskars. To be fair, my soil, is just like beach sand, so only need to cut the roots. Use a trowel to lift the plug, and dig a little deeper, when needed. It's been good, for a $7 Walmart special.

When you use your tools, for other purposes, you run the risk of breaking them. Doesn't really matter how much you paid for them. Abused tools, usually end up broken tools, eventually.

Been several threads of broken Lesche, about as many as the Fiskar's...

I literally just took the plastic off of it. I stuck it in the ground..went in like butter, and started my circular cut and the handle literally came off as easy as could be. I didn't misuse or pry with it any sort of way at all. straight up and down cutting. It wouldn't bother me so much if I could just go down to the local walmart, home depot or lowes and get another one. But Im stuck in Germany. So it normally takes me 2-3 weeks to get what most folks go buy in 20 minutes.

Broken Fiskars Garden Digger...

My Fiskars "Garden Digger" is almost 2 years old without a problem. My first one which broke was only tack welded, They are now made with a full weld! Maybe they took all of the original defective design diggers and Exported them out of America? Here is a link to one that might work better for you!!!
http://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-1...=UTF8&qid=1369206587&sr=8-16&keywords=pry+bar
LOL GL & HH.....Pat

I am a fanatic about cleaning all my equipment. Several years ago I tried the Fiskars, and for the most part, it worked ok. I wasn't a big fan of the tip, though. Small gravel would get caught in it and make it worthless for cutting anything.
However, repeated washings apparently caused corrosion under the handle and one day it snapped off. The tool was less than 12 months old.

I posted about these years ago but people won't listen. The handle is held on by 4 spot welds. They all break in the same place. Bad runs have nothing to do with it. Take the grip off and weld the handle and it never breaks. I use my Lesche.

I have busted 3 now. One was a warranty replacement. I really like the size and feel, it just doesn't hold up to abuse well. The handle has broken off of all 3 I have used.

Several years ago I tried the Fiskars, and for the most part, it worked ok. I wasn't a big fan of the tip, though. Small gravel would get caught in it and make it worthless for cutting anything.

I never liked the tip either. I had a friend fill it in with his welder. It's a big improvement.
Fiskars.JPG

the quality diggers may be a bit more money, but considering the cost of several cheap diggers, they are totally worth it. :)

Back
Top Bottom