Headstamp ID Help

tony48

Elite Member
Scouted out a new site a few days ago. A set of trails in dense woods that used to lead to a mill. Hiked out to it and found a few headstamps that I would like to use to help date the site. Sorry for the bad pictures.

First one says PCC League. no. 12
85A1B540-64FE-44D6-8310-C3D6896C6839-6212-0000080A780180E3.jpg

Next is a Winchester no. 12 Nublack
1374A093-887F-4243-9BE4-45B11469EFF5-6212-0000080A67C48FFA.jpg

Last is very hard to read but it says Remington UMC Nitro Club no. 12
It looks like one shown on this website (second row, third from the left): http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/remumc.htm
The only difference is that mine is 12 gauge instead of 14 but everything is placed the same.
D6217F47-992B-4A37-A8F4-6F219CD0A8BF-6212-0000080A5F19D740.jpg

Great Finds!!!

You have some great headstamps there! Your Peters is IMPRESSIVE! It is a rare variety for this line of shells. It will date from 1896-1902. It is a very seldom seen variety (In fact, this is only the second one of this variety that I have seen dug).

Your Nublack is one of my all time Wincester headstamp. It was a black powder line of shells and will date from 1905-1938. It is really hard to get a tighter date on this line just from the head. It too is a great find!

Your Remington-UMC Nitro Club is an early post merger example. It will date from 1911-1923 and closer to the 1911 side of the range.

Overall, you have some great finds with the Peters being just outstanding!

Doug

Thanks very much for the help turtlefoot! Great to know I have an old site and even a few nice, rare head stamps! I'm starting to really enjoy finding head stamps! I'm going to have to look through all of my old ones that I just threw in a jar.

Any idea if the Peters is actually worth any money? I would assume not since its only the headstamp (instead of the whole shell) and in poor, dug condition.

Thanks very much for the help turtlefoot! Great to know I have an old site and even a few nice, rare head stamps! I'm starting to really enjoy finding head stamps! I'm going to have to look through all of my old ones that I just threw in a jar.

Any idea if the Peters is actually worth any money? I would assume not since its only the headstamp (instead of the whole shell) and in poor, dug condition.

In a nutshell, no. When it comes to dug headstamps, there is only a small handfull that might bring any money at all (and that would only be just a few dollars at most).

To be honest, most shotshell heads are not worth the scrap value as the dirt and paper wadding would have to be dug out and, if they have a steel lining, it would have to be removed.

The real value is what the headstamp can tall the finder about the area and the person who lost it. It can give you an indication of the type of use of the area and age/date the area was used. In a lot of cases, it can tell you if the person who shot it was; well off of poor, an avid shooter or a casual shooter, etc.

I always find the rarity/value issue really interesting. I am guessing that there are less Peters headstamps like what you found in existance than an 1877 Indian Head Penny, yet a person would be doing good to get $1.00 for the Peters headstamp.

Doug

Thank you very much for the information and you did a great job explaining the situation. I've just recently started to realize the value of information about a site that can be gained from headstamps. Last question, how do you determine which shotshells were expensive and more likely to be used by a wealthy person?

Turtle is the expert here when it comes to Headstamps .I donate mine to him in hopes that one day it helps him produce a catalog of their history and reference for all to view ..

Turtle, please ckeck my posts the next week or two cause I have am amazing pile for you to examine and add to your collection :)

I believe that relics should go to those that appreciate them the best :)

Nothing like a good home :)

That's not an easy question to answer. A lot comes from research. Not always, but generally speaking, the higher the brass, the higher quality and more expensive the shell.

Here is an example:

picture.php

The above 1912 ad shows the black powder Romax (old technology), the low brass Climax (standard shell) and the high brass Ajax (highest quality and highest price).

Virtually every company had their own lines of economy, mid and high priced shells.

You have asked a great question here. I am in the process of getting a Web site together with all of the info and headstamps that I have in it. Your question has made me realize that I need to add some pages that indicate which major lines were the economy, mid-priced and high priced shells.

Doug

Turtle is the expert here when it comes to Headstamps .I donate mine to him in hopes that one day it helps him produce a catalog of their history and reference for all to view ..

Turtle, please ckeck my posts the next week or two cause I have am amazing pile for you to examine and add to your collection :)

I believe that relics should go to those that appreciate them the best :)

Nothing like a good home :)

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for them.

Doug

PPC Victoria australia

Hi
Have just unearthed a PPC LEAGUE no12 head from my property. Used to be an old goldmine site.
Has no pattern around the primer but has a single line under the o
Western Victoria Australia

Aaron

Attachments

• 1FFFE1AF-EB70-4ABB-B929-EB7E079887C8.jpg
    1FFFE1AF-EB70-4ABB-B929-EB7E079887C8.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 360
Back
Top Bottom