Trying to figure out what this is. It isnt mine but trying to help out a friend

Attachments

• old_coinback.jpg
    old_coinback.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 395
  • old_coinfront.jpg
    old_coinfront.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 396
it looks like a Roman coin but i would say a fake.Theres lots of them about.The shape is all wrong to start with,its too perfect.that is only my opinion

it looks like a Roman coin but i would say a fake.Theres lots of them about.The shape is all wrong to start with,its too perfect.that is only my opinion

Just my opinion, but it looks OK. There was a period when Roman coins actually achieved a reasonable degree of roundness. I believe this might be what is called a post-reform radiate (because of the spikey crown).

-- Tom

This is the best match I could find, and it may be correct:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s3611.html#RIC_0595

I think authentication (if you can't get it done for free) would cost more than what the coin is worth. It does seem to be of Maximianus (not to be confused with Maximus or Maximinus).

-- Tom

P.S. The link is for a coin of the Heraklea mint. Your coin may be from another mint.

I agree with Simon, it looks too good.

A few years ago I was at Colchester museum in Essex, and ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman opened the event.

He was telling us that he was detecting on farmland he owns in France, and found a lovely silver coin, and got quite excited over it.
That was until someone said they were given away with petrol at the local garage ;)

I agree with Simon, it looks too good.

A few years ago I was at Colchester museum in Essex, and ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman opened the event.

He was telling us that he was detecting on farmland he owns in France, and found a lovely silver coin, and got quite excited over it.
That was until someone said they were given away with petrol at the local garage ;)

I have seen better. Better centered, less encrustation, less wear.

I cannot authenticate a coin from a picture, and sometimes can condemn them, but in this case, the coin looks OK to me.

-- Tom

I've had two Roman this week which I haven't cleaned apart from a wash in warm water and on the basis of "to good" they must be fakes that someone has walked miles from the nearest road to plant.
These are from a medium mineralised ground area. If I go east you can dig 1800 year old coins in near mint condition. Though there's more fake than real Roman round at the moment you would have to check size/weight and the edge of the coin to be certain.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Untill we know where it was found i stick to what i think.We all know there was no Romans in the States so either is a wind up or one bought in a souvenier shop or something like that.You could well be right achaios but im not convinced

Untill we know where it was found i stick to what i think.We all know there was no Romans in the States so either is a wind up or one bought in a souvenier shop or something like that.You could well be right achaios but im not convinced

Maybe not quite true.

There have been some finds reported, and used (in my opinion incorrectly) by pseudo-archaeologists to claim that Romans/Greeks visited North America. Some may have been "pocket pieces" lost by USAnians, others, notably those found on the northern east coast were probably part of a wrecked ship's ballast (18th-19th century ships, not Roman ones).

I will try to find the citation in my library, but I read about them in some of anomalist Bill Corliss' books.

However, in this case, I doubt it was a detector find. The original poster said he was trying to help a friend. The friend may have been European, or possibly came back with the coin from a trip overseas. Or, possibly picked out of a "junk box" at a coin show, or any other number of non-MDing sources.

-- Tom

This was bought for one dollar. Dought if its real but you never know. I was hoping that you all would come through and you did. Thank you very much!!!

I have a buddy named Shane that has found a roman coin over here in Florida off of Sanibel island. How did it get there? never will know :?:

I've a poor condition Roman that came off the beach in Florida. There must be a couple of hundred found in the U.S. by now but most probably came in with immigrants who found them back home in the old country as they were thought of as lucky pieces.
Until someone finds an area in the U.S. where several are located in conjuction with other Roman finds then they just have to be considered later imports. Good chance of fame for the person who did find such a site.

That's an Ant (Antoninianus) of Maximianus all right. As far as I know, nobody is bothering to fake Roman Bronze Ants, especially the common ones like this. There's no money in it, honestly, as these turn up literally by the pound on a pretty regular basis.
A buck was not a bad buy for that at all, really, it's actually in pretty decent shape.

UK Brian, your smaller coin was easy- Constantine I (The Great), although without reverse pictures I can't tell you which one exactly. The larger one is a bit tougher. Looks to me like a Constantius I of some type but I can't find it.

ETA: not that I'm an expert, you understand, but that Ant sure looks good, and it's been cleaned without being overcleaned.
UK Brian, you might want to show that larger coin to somebody who knows a lot more than I do. It *might* be worth a few pounds. The Constantines grow on trees, but still nice finds!

Back
Top Bottom