Roman, Trajan ???

Gander

Elite Member
Roman Trajan? Need help please!

I found this at a local park about 4" down with my Bounty hunter. Not sure what it is. Does anyone have an idea? I tried google, Wikipedia, several other search engines...nothing. I tried different combinations of the letters, the most that I came up with is something about "Trajan".

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

The horizontal lines are from my camera. The inscription is the same on both sides. The other side is a little more scratched up. Seems to made out of tin or some other light metal. Doesn't want to bend very easy.

Last edited:
Looks like design work

Looks like design work, would not want to speculate on authenticity. There are many coins and medallions with Trajan's likeness on them. This one looks to be copied from a Trajan Æ Sestertius.

The British Museum Dept. of Coins and Medals has a medallion/coin with the same inscription (imp caes nervae traino avc ger dac pm trp cos v ppm). There are also many examples on the web.

A little about Trajan:

Roman warrior emperor Trajan (98-117) dating to between 103 and 111 C.E. Trajan led his Roman armies into battle himself. The Roman dominions were taken to their greatest geographical extent by Trajan and remained relatively stable for about 50 years. The philosopher emperor Marcus Aurelius died of old age in 180 C.E. defending Trajan's conquests in Germany after fighting Parthians and Germans for most of his career.

Still cool looking! Hope this helped a little bit.

Last edited:
Thanks traveler for your help. I will cut and paste this into ms word and add it to the mystery of this coinage's description.

Thanks again.

Definitely modern. They copied it from a coin of Trajan (obviously a worn example, since they left off the "I" that should have started IMP. Probably part of jewelry, definitely not intended to deceive a collector.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom