Never Wet

StuffRecoveryU

This is a link to the product I talked about in another post, seems like it would be a good addition to your kit and would make certain aspects of detecting more enjoyable and efficient. www.neverwet.com

Made by Rust-oleum. Can probably get it at Home Depot. :grin:

Have you tried it? Is it thick or thin, paint it on, or spray it on?

We have yet to find a water repellent that works.

Not yet but it's a spray that is a two step process, from everything I have seen it seems to be something worth looking at. It's kind of pricey but the uses are limitless, clothing, tools and just about anything can be coated. I would avoid electronics such as control boxes on the detector but other than that I would think it would be a good addition to the kit. Thinking of coating the bottom of my coil with it but am still researching any problems that might cause. I will let you know what I find.

CP from Rustoleum website:
NeverWet Faqs

How abrasion resistant is Rust-Oleum NeverWet?

Rust-Oleum NeverWet is resistant to normal wear and tear; however, with excessive abrasion or if applied to a walking surface, the superhydrophobic properties will be quickly diminished. In many situations, the superhydrophobic action may be reduced, but the remaining Top Coat and Base Coat still provide protection to the coated surface.
Superhydrophobicity can be restored by scuff sanding the object to remove the residual Top Coat, and then recoating the object with Base Coat and Top Coat

Are coated items “breathable”?

The breath-ability of a coated item is dependent on how heavy the Base Coat is applied.
The lighter the Base Coat, the more breathable the item will be. If a continuous, heavy film is applied, the surface will not be breathable.

Can NeverWet be used on electronics?

No, NeverWet should not be used on electronics.

Can NeverWet be recoated?

If the superhydrophobic properties are diminished, NeverWet can be reapplied. Lightly sand the surface of the coated object to remove any remaining Top Coat, and then reapply the Base and Top Coat according to the directions on the previous page.

Can NeverWet be removed?

Yes. If you desire to remove NeverWet completely, it can be removed by first sanding and then wiping the treated object with Xylol or mineral spirits.

Sounds like a good architectural coating. I was looking up the millage but after seeing unsuitable for electronics I quit.

Not yet but it's a spray that is a two step process, from everything I have seen it seems to be something worth looking at. It's kind of pricey but the uses are limitless, clothing, tools and just about anything can be coated. I would avoid electronics such as control boxes on the detector but other than that I would think it would be a good addition to the kit. Thinking of coating the bottom of my coil with it but am still researching any problems that might cause. I will let you know what I find.

a few years ago I saw a couple of guys taking electronic items like cell phones and laptops and submerging them in something very similar making them waterproof... I was just thinking about this the other day to see how much they charged... I thought about this process for my Sov GT. I haven't seen anything recently about it and wonder if this is the same stuff...

I think this is what I am alluding to...

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/16/waterproof-smartphones-coming-soon/

http://openrov.com/profiles/blogs/waterproof-coating-you-re-not-going-to-believe-this

Last edited:
a few years ago I saw a couple of guys taking electronic items like cell phones and laptops and submerging them in something very similar making them waterproof... I was just thinking about this the other day to see how much they charged... I thought about this process for my Sov GT. I haven't seen anything recently about it and wonder if this is the same stuff...

I think this is what I am alluding to...

http://openrov.com/profiles/blogs/waterproof-coating-you-re-not-going-to-believe-this

Not to thread jack, but I saw a waterproof solution that seemed pretty cool. It's called ultra ever dry, not sure if it would work for detectors but it looks damn cool!

http://www.ultraeverdrystore.com/

Both of these are the same as OP.

Never Wet Ever Dry one and the same?

Could be, I remember seeing the Ever Dry demo's and they were exactly like the Never Wet it may be the same product. Rustoleum may have bought them out and changed the name. Have no idea if that's true but it's plausible. Thanks for all the replies, if someone uses it be sure and gives us a review! :theatral:

Could be, I remember seeing the Ever Dry demo's and they were exactly like the Never Wet it may be the same product. Rustoleum may have bought them out and changed the name. Have no idea if that's true but it's plausible. Thanks for all the replies, if someone uses it be sure and gives us a review! :theatral:
Ingredients are the same and Rustoleum went on a buying spree a couple years back and gobbled up a bunch of companies so it's quite possible they did buy them out.
It's pretty impressive for an architectural coating.

Back
Top Bottom