People Are Something Else

Lee1968

Elite Member
My wife and I live a very rural lifestyle. We hunt, fish, garden, and have animals (pigs, chickens, and rabbits). We have heard comments from friends and family - not mean spirited - but they like to poke fun. Some comments - "Do you know how many vegetables you would have to grow to pay for the raised garden you built?" "Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just buy meat at the store?" "You know they sell jam at the store, rather than spending days upon days making it at home?" etc, etc, etc.

Over the past couple of weeks, we have had several inquiries as to how much meat, canned vegetables, eggs, etc we have, and would we possibly have any extra? We don't do this stuff as a "prepping" thing, it is just our hobby. There is something about picking wild berries and making something out of them. Or dealing with animals, then reaping the benefits. We like doing it. Of course we still buy bread, milk, flour - stuff like that, but we could feasibly go several weeks to months, just living on what we have raised or harvested. Now people want our bounty! :roll:

We have been willing to share some, but we aren't going to empty our freezers and pantry! Thankfully, what we have is all renewable. :D

We have been willing to share some, but we aren't going to empty our freezers and pantry! Thankfully, what we have is all renewable. :D

First, good for you for helping out when it's needed, and no one can blame you for limiting your generosity.

The bad part about your post is that those who are asking for help now, will forget just what they're seeing today, and go right back to their "just enough for now" habits, thinking the government will take care of them.

We are seeing the results of a collapsing public education system.

Roger

I would not be surprised after what is happening that some of the people who could not be bothered with planting a vegetable garden might consider it now.

Good for you ! You have a hobby that you enjoy and can reap the fruits of your labor. No different than detecting. We can at least get a bit of exercise. Be careful of these invaders and your land !

Another way to help that fits the situation is just say I can give you a few dollars to go buy your own.:)

Good for you ! You have a hobby that you enjoy and can reap the fruits of your labor. No different than detecting. We can at least get a bit of exercise. Be careful of these invaders and your land !

Sad part is, it seems some of the "invaders" apparently have been invited. We took in my soon to be 78 year old mother after she had some medical issues a couple of years ago. I heard her on the phone telling someone "If you ever need eggs, you should come up here. They always have plenty of eggs."

Yesterday, we got 14 eggs from our chickens. Today, my wife made breakfast as usual - 3 eggs for me, 2 for her, and 2 for my mom. We also mix 2 eggs in the hog feed in the morning and afternoon. (It is a powder feed, and the eggs are a good source of protein.) So today, we will use at least 11 eggs.

Sad part is, it seems some of the "invaders" apparently have been invited. We took in my soon to be 78 year old mother after she had some medical issues a couple of years ago. I heard her on the phone telling someone "If you ever need eggs, you should come up here. They always have plenty of eggs."

Yesterday, we got 14 eggs from our chickens. Today, my wife made breakfast as usual - 3 eggs for me, 2 for her, and 2 for my mom. We also mix 2 eggs in the hog feed in the morning and afternoon. (It is a powder feed, and the eggs are a good source of protein.) So today, we will use at least 11 eggs.
Do you feed the egg shells back to the hens? I sometimes feed the excess (cooked) eggs and shells back to the girls for extra calcium and protein.

Do you feed the egg shells back to the hens? I sometimes feed the excess (cooked) eggs and shells back to the girls for extra calcium and protein.

We do give them some of the eggshells. We also crush them and put them on the garden. Not sure if it does anything or not, but it is something that has been passed on to do.

We do give them some of the eggshells. We also crush them and put them on the garden. Not sure if it does anything or not, but it is something that has been passed on to do.
Calcium essential for plant growth. So are coffee grounds!

The only items still in short supply here are TP and paper towels. They finally restocked the canned tuna, peanut butter and soup aisles this week. Plenty of eggs, milk and meat at most stores now. Hopefully, the hoarders will realize that the end of the world is not coming and there's no need to hoard anything, especially TP!

When I was growing up gardening was not a hobby. It was a matter of having something to eat. The chickens were raised for the same reason. We had hens for the eggs and young ones for the meat. I still love to grow a garden but it is just for the pleasure of eating what I grew.

If this goes on for a long time, I expect many formerly anti-hunters will be singing a different tune.

If things got that super bad around here that we had to reply on catching our own food I would not have to go hunting deer, pretty much every day of the week anywhere from 3 to as much as 8 or more deer come walking right across our property which is right next to woods. I'm not crazy about the taste of deer meat, but if it was a must to survive there's always ketchup :lol:

If things got that super bad around here that we had to reply on catching our own food I would not have to go hunting deer, pretty much every day of the week anywhere from 3 to as much as 8 or more deer come walking right across our property which is right next to woods. I'm not crazy about the taste of deer meat, but if it was a must to survive there's always ketchup :lol:
I’ll admit, l like the meat from the store. It tastes a lot better than the chickens I raise and the venison in my freezer, they’re both ‘gamey’ Why is that?

I’ll admit, l like the meat from the store. It tastes a lot better than the chickens I raise and the venison in my freezer, they’re both ‘gamey’ Why is that?

I think I heard a reason in the past but don't remember offhand what it is.

I had a friend who years ago used to be able to use spices and make hamburgers from deer meat that you might think you were eating regular hamburgers if you didn't know beforehand what they were made with, so there seems to be ways to prepare it other than just covering it with ketchup :lol:

Once a chicken gets to be laying age (20+ weeks), they take on a different taste. If they are that old, we make stewing hens out of them for chicken and dumplings or pot pies. Kind of the same with our hogs. We will butcher them at just over 6 months old. If you let them get a lot older than that, they start to get fatty and the boars can get boar taint - not good. We mix our venison burger with tallow and use it in chili, spaghetti, tacos, etc. If we fry it up as a hamburger, we cut it 50/50 with beef. We also get brats and roasts out of our deer. They are awesome. (Actually having deer brats tonight!) :D
Around here, there are several people that raise cows, and some are willing to trade fresh pork for beef.

Back
Top Bottom