Size (area) of a CW campsite for given # of soldiers

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I've been detecting for a few hours on what was a Confederate encampment (short-term). Is there a way to estimate the size of a camp for a given number of soldiers? I'm told it's between 2000-3000 soldiers that stayed there.

Of course, I was picturing open fields like where I was standing but need to consider it was forested at the time. It's incredible to picture it in my mind - 2500+/- soldiers, tents, campfires, lanterns, horses, etc.

A camp of 2000 men would be a fairly large camp. We usually define the camp size by the iron, usually square nails. But for that many men, they may have spread out a bit and formed more than one camp.

I have seen some pictures of encampment areas on the library of congress web site. you might look there.

I have had the same question in my mind.

Think about the battle in North Atlanta. The numbers are huge.

Attachments

• shermanforcesatlanta.jpg
    shermanforcesatlanta.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 600
Its hard to imagine that many people camped in one area. Would seem like you could hunt that one spot for a long time.

I talked with the old-timer that has been detecting these sites for 50 years. He told 2-3k but clarified that over a period of the civil war, 8-10k used it as they moved on. I searched and searched it and have only found one military button (back), other buttons and a ring. Other folks are swinging it, too.

I THOUGHT I had a CW shell the other day but it was part of a hub of a pc of equipment. [emoji19]

The old-timer I mention has shown me his collection of finds. It's incredible. He's legit. It's inspiring and depressing at the same time, LOL, but I always learn something.

The other CW places I've been to nearby have also been picked to death as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Union soldiers make themselves at home in Atlanta

I know this does not say much for size of camp. But found it interesting after the fall of Atlanta some union soldiers made tent like houses of wood complete with brick chimney. This picture was in front of Atlanta city hall.

Attachments

• unioncampatlanta.jpg
    unioncampatlanta.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 432
Back
Top Bottom