• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Note to the "Newbies" from a "Newbie"

Glad I found this site

I am brand new to this site. I came here trying to find answers about neighborhood "public" parks. I am not asking for answers I will try the search area first. I just got a garret ace 350 and have been practicing in my back yard. I have gotten really good at pinpointing with it and digging just very small holes. I also bought the garret pro pointer and that thing is awesome.
I saw on another site that public schools are ok to detect at,as long as there are no sighns saying that you cant. I hope thats right. I will make sure before I go there. Anyway I am home inspector and I can get access to a lot of fresh cleared land where there will be homes built. I was in one today and asked the builder if he minded me walking around with my detector and he said sure go for it so I did. There was a small sort of a park area with a few old trees and just one park bench under a tree. I got a signal about a foot behind the bench and it was a large signal. I thought is was going to be another flatened beer can but I am new and started to did it up. About 4 inches down and I find a black trash bag wraped around some kind of metal box. I started thinking that I was digging up some kids dead pet. Then I noticed that there was yellow writting on the box and I knew it was an ammo box. Now I am wondering if I found a gun,ammo,dead pet,drugs? It had roots that had grown over the box about as big as my thumb so I knew it was not too new. I git it dug out and opened it up and inside were birthday cards,valentine cards and they were in perfect condition,like they were burried an hour ago. The cards were ment for a man,like you would get from your girlfriend or wife. I dont know if I will offend anybody here by saying this but there were also private nude home photos of a women in the box. I dont know why anybody would ever burry something like that. The only place that I found a date was on the photos dated 2004. I dont how long it takes for oak tree roots to grow to thumb size. The trash bag would crumble in your hand and the ammo box had some rust on it but not to bad. It did have a rubber seal around the top. And the inside of the can had zero rust and not even a scratch. Well at least I now have a great box to keep all the rusty coins I am finding in.

New

Hi........I'm new...a newbie.

I bought a Garrett AT Pro last fall. And I've found nothing short of old wire, soup can lids and beer cans.

We have an 1833 brick house and an 1882 barn.......certainly I should be finding something more exciting than a nail?

We recently plowed an acre to garden.....so I ran like a child to a swingset toward the field with my Garrett. The detector would ding and sing and buzz and chat........all to the sounds of a beautiful piece of thick wire that probably fell off a tractor 30 years ago.

I've watched the video's, read the manual, talked to friends..........certainly I'm doing something terribly wrong.

AT Pro Operation

HI Newbie, Paw here. I have a Pro as well. You are going to have to be patient with the machine. It is a wonderful machine and will preform very good for you. First where are you located? If you are in central or east Alabama, our dirt is going to give you a fit. I have to run mine in standard coin with the dis. at 40. I also, set the std custom with the dis. all the way up and I notch discrim. everything but the50-55 pixel and put a pixel on 70-75. I leave the pixels from 80 up on for coins. This setting will get you nickels, small gold coins and rings and all your other coins. The most important thing is to be sure to ground balance the machine. If you turn it on and you have a tone without moving the coil you will need to set your ground balance manually. Turn your sensitivity down to about mid ways and play with your frequency settings. On mine and in the areas I hunt if I don't do these things, all I here too is chatter and noise. Don't use the Pro setting until you get a good signal that reads solid on the id and pixel/tone. Then switch to the same mode in pro that you are using in std, That way you can compare what you are hearing in std mode to how it sounds in pro mode. I prefer the std mode because of the clean bell tone you will get from a coin. Also, just because a place looks promising doesn't mean it will be. I hunted a place built in 1827, that was a plantation home/inn. I thought I was going to clean up. So far all I've found outside of farming stuff, is a few clad coins and a token. The At pro in Pro mode does not like our mineralized soil but when set for the environment your in the pro will do amazing things. Take your time and listen to your machine. Oh, watch leaving the iron audio on. If you use it be sure to turn it off. It WILL sound like a ticker tape machine if you don't. If you have any questions, send me a post.

Moving

I'm new to this site and your post was very instructive..However I'm not new to the hobby ..I'm a born and raised southern boy who is going to be moving to New York of all places and I was wondering if there is anything worth relic hunting near Lagrangeville or Poughkeepsie.. I would enjoy meeting new relic hunters from a new part of the country . If anyone is interested please feel free to shoot me an email at anytime... Thanks

Newbie from Arlington, TX

Howdy all
Just getting back in the hobby after a rather long sabbatical. Since 1978.
:grin:

I am brand new to metal detecting and this forum. This was my first stop and thank you for the great advice to the newbies. I appreciate it very much.

Well,obviously im new on here so it will take some time for me to get used to this forum.my name is marc D i am from québec canada and i will be posting under the user name vee.a friend got me to take up metal detecting as a hobbie and i will be buying one very soon.i was thinking ide better learn the basics and learn the lingo before i go on this forum and start....yes!! Start asking stupid redundent questions.so yup ill be watching(reading) up closely on pretty much everything so if you have any advise feel free to message me.until then folks i extend a great big ol HEY from canada.
Vee.:D

Well,obviously im new on here so it will take some time for me to get used to this forum.my name is marc D i am from québec canada and i will be posting under the user name vee.a friend got me to take up metal detecting as a hobbie and i will be buying one very soon.i was thinking ide better learn the basics and learn the lingo before i go on this forum and start....yes!! Start asking stupid redundent questions.so yup ill be watching(reading) up closely on pretty much everything so if you have any advise feel free to message me.until then folks i extend a great big ol HEY from canada.
Vee.:D

HEY MARC!!!!! Glad ya made it here buddy!!!

There's alot of knowledge on here, so don't hesitate to ask questions.
Just some of the guys that have helped me: Ozarks, Rocketmoon, Azmodeus to name a few... WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

I loved your comment about asking what kind of detector to get! This is exactly what brought me to this forum! I am trying to decide what to buy my husband as a gift. He talks about metal detecting often, but has never owned one. My budget is about $250 and it would be used mainly at the beach. The Fisher F2 is on my list of possibilities. However, I see mixed reviews on how it performs near water. Could you give me some insight as to how it performs at the beach? Any input would be so greatly appreciated!

thank you Airwolf222b for posting. i just signed up and trying to figure out how to work this site, but that was very helpful. thank you for posting this for new people such as myself know a little more about this forum site on what to.

Newbie from Ohio

I had a few extra dollars from my tax returns last year and I have been dying to get into this hobby for years. I lived in a beach area in Florida and I used to see all sorts of people wandering around with the earphones and the metal detectors looking for lost Spanish gold. I actually rented a detector a few times to try my luck but it was not as easy as the older generation made it look. A few years went by, and I moved to the Midwest, where I live now. Now, the ground is clay and bends my trowel, and since I am using city parks, I try not to go any deeper than two to four inches..and of course I fill in the plugs. I have mainly found coins, but I did hit gold once or twice with a ring and a bracelet. I guess the bottom line is my time constraints...but it is always nice to throw the White's detector in the trunk and stop at various places as I travel throughout the midwest looking for whatever lies beneath the surface. Best wishes and thanks for having me. :cool:

Thank you for the welcome

Hi there folks. Adam is my name I'm from Australia. I am new to this detecting hobby and forums all at once. I have bought an old Garret groundhog detector (green one). I found some general tuning tips, so I fired the old thing up. I put a coin under the coils and it didn't do anything. I got a little squeak with some headphones but the needle didn't move. The battery tester switch moved on both settings. Can anyone give me an idea on what i've come up against.

regards adam

The term newbie definitly applies to me. Recently i had a small accident which put me into early retirement and cost me most of the use of my left shoulder. What i'm doing here is not only looking for something to fill some time but something i've always had an interest in. Thought this might be the time to get involved but don't know if it can be done mostly one handed. Any thoughts?

Welcome Turfmech!

Hi there! Sorry to hear about your injury. :( I just got started with detecting a few months back and currently am using a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver machine. I would say it is definitely possible to detect with one good arm, but I would recommend a lighter weight machine. The Quicksilver I am using has been a great starter machine (although not top of the line) and is also lightweight. I am sure there are many other lightweight machines out there, but I would be sure to keep weight in mind when making your machine purchase! I am only a few months into this hobby, and I have to say it is the most exciting thing I have ever done!! It's great to get outdoors all the while exploring the history of the relics I have found. I hope you find the same joy in doing such!:D All the best to you!

teledoug

:wow:Hey friends!
Just testing the waters here for a response.
Love talking mding but have no one else interested around me.
Anyway, be nice to chat with fellow hunters.
Thanks!
Teledoug

Back
Top Bottom