Ugly Coin Contest

Harley-Dog

Who has the ugliest coin finds? I thought it would be fun to post photos of the most awful examples of coins we've ever dug. Call it a contest with no prize...just the distinction of showing off the most hideous thing that can still be recognized as a coin. Here's where those pathetic zlincolns can have their 15 minutes of fame!

I would like to establish just 2 rules: #1 -- Please do not post photos of coins that were intentionally mutilated (i.e. flattened on railroad tracks, held over a bunsen burner, dipped in acid, shot with a .22, etc.). Only post pictures of coins that suffered natural deterioration, such as being in the ground for too long, subjected to ocean water, or due to some other natural means. #2 -- Please do a reasonable job of removing whatever dirt can be removed so we can see the coin and not the dirt!

Submit as many as you like. Here are my 3 worst (front & back), and a brief explanation where found: Top -- Zlincoln dug in N.E. Ohio...snapped into two pieces while washing it off under the tap! (wish I'd kept the smaller piece). Middle -- dug from a beach in St. Croix, Virgin Islands a year ago...NOT a zinc...check out what ocean water can do to 95% copper! Bottom -- Also rescued from St. Croix ocean waters...I believe it is a zlincoln, but whatever is encrusted on it WILL NOT tumble off....barnacles?

Harley-Dog

Attachments

• rotten cents 2.jpg
    rotten cents 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,797
Yuck! Those are pitiful!

I'll see what I can come up with. Any coin right?

I'll go through my rejects tomorrow.

Coins coming out of saltwater really take a beating for the most part...

Attachments

• PA160463.jpg
    PA160463.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,686
Found this one last week in the field by the school...

It's a Quarter!

Ugly3.jpg

or was a Quarter...

Ugly2.jpg

I think it had a run in with a trencher. Folded into itself twice!

Ugly1.jpg

I don't think this was naturally caused but, It's how I found it.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Cyber - looks like Superman was angry with that quarter!

CyberSage... that's a real babe, that is...! :lol:

Here's my chunk of silver:
(I'm sure it's a U.S. coin, 'cause I matched up the visible letters in the upper right-hand corner of the left pic. Hard to see here, but with a mag glass, I can see "ED STATES". Barber dime?)

Attachments

• TallyWally.jpg
    TallyWally.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,584
Great post!! Most of my ugliest coins never made it in front of a camera, but I'll post what I've got:

1. My 1000th coin, a Zincoln from a local beach
2. 2 beat up wheats pulled out of a park
3. An incredibly worn wheat found on a freshwater beach, about 6" down. It was as thin as a sheet of paper, and I couldn't even ID it as a wheat until I saw the pic.
4. A V nickel, found under the old stove I was ripping out when I bought my house.

Attachments

• 1000th coin reverse 12-10-05.JPG
    1000th coin reverse 12-10-05.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,582
  • OF 2 10-8-05.jpg
    OF 2 10-8-05.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Carbuncle 11-18-05 2.jpg
    Carbuncle 11-18-05 2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,546
  • V nickel 1.jpg
    V nickel 1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,596
  • V nickel 2.jpg
    V nickel 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,546
Honorable Mention?

This is a zpenny I found in the local dried-up lake. I scrubbed the worst of the crud off with a nail brush, then let it soak overnight in water.
When I was cleaning it the next day it started flaking apart, so I put it aside and haven't touched it since I saw this post. As you can see, it's still trying to crumble away. The soil here is real akaline, maybe that's what does it.
I'm having a hard time posting pics with only 97kbs to play with. :( Can it be bumped to 150kbs per pic? :?:

Attachments

• DSC00005t.jpg
    DSC00005t.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,440
B.Positive, you might want to play with the settings of your image processing software. Specially with the jpg compression and quality. For example, I downloaded your Zlincoln pic and saved it with a bit more progressive compression and got the pic size to 38KB without any apparent loss of quality. I think even smaller size would be possible without much quality loss.

Voriax

B. Positive -- That is amazing....I have never seen a zlincoln simply crumble away! Looks like you could blow on it and it would turn to dust!

Thanks everybody for sharing your worst of the worst. Looking forward to seeing any other ugly ones that may be lurking out there. Come on, anyone can show off the pretty ones....let's see some UGLY!!!

Harley-Dog

My two "best" ugly coins.

Attachments

• uglycoins.jpg
    uglycoins.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,424
B. Positive -- That is amazing....I have never seen a zlincoln simply crumble away! Looks like you could blow on it and it would turn to dust!
Harley-Dog

Someone on this site spoke of the zpenny being the first biodegrable coin. Amen to that!
Cleaning with water and a nail brush took off all but the ingrained crud. I put in in vinegar:no: for 5 minutes and this was the result. The ground here is so heavily mineralized that when water is left in a glass it leaves a mineral ring as it drys, so I'm used to cleaning with vinegar.
Never again, though. Good thing it wasn't a valuable find!

My first and only standing liberty quarter ... smacked by a lawn mower!

Attachments

• Mar21silver1.jpg
    Mar21silver1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 828
Back
Top Bottom