Garrett AT PRO Owners - Tell me about swing speed.

Burbank Bob

Forum Supporter
Unless someone materializes with a Tesoro Tiger Shark for sale it looks like an AT Pro is in my near future.

Curious how fast you can swing it without missing targets?

I find that if I swing too fast I miss targets with my ACE 250

Will appreciate your replies!

Highcap, funny, i was considering the at also, but decided on another rig. AT looks like a nice machine for the $...

Highcap, funny, i was considering the at also, but decided on another rig. AT looks like a nice machine for the $...

What are you getting?

I want something I can't drown... Looking for a Tiger Shark but NADA.. Can't afford Excal II 1000, and want multiple tones, so the AT PRO is worth a shot for the price.

Highcap, i decided to go with the whites beach hunter id 300, i was back and forth with that or an excal ii, but after watching alot of youtube vids i realized i must be tone deaf as the different tones of the excal are SUBTLE....
The AT does look like a winner for sure, let me know what you end up deciding!
HH!

After alot of back an forth, I ended up getting the AT Pro..Kellyco has their BOGO offer going, so I also picked up a Bounty Hunter 505 Pro for a little bit more..see which one I like better...:yes:

The Ace 250 lags. That's one of it's minor cons. The AT Pro is really, really fast, it almost doesn't have any delay. I've been using the Pro for about a month and I've had to slow down my swing since the recovery is so fast, I have to hear all the noises. It is a totally new experience from the ACE 250. I'm literally having to learn all over again.

Mr. Mean,

Do you have any experience with 'mystery chirp'? I don't swing like I'm on steroids but have an all too often mystery chirp which reads 90+ on the meter at the end of the swing. My AT Pro also chirps if it hits a bump, decent sized twig or clump of grass. I've made sure that the coil is tight (from coil to main unit) and haven't been able to determine what is causing 'the chirp'! Any similar experiences?

I'd hate to send the unit back to Garrett since that would probably be a couple weeks waiting...of course, that would give me time on the 505 I picked up as a BOGO...

Mr. Mean,

Do you have any experience with 'mystery chirp'? I don't swing like I'm on steroids but have an all too often mystery chirp which reads 90+ on the meter at the end of the swing. My AT Pro also chirps if it hits a bump, decent sized twig or clump of grass. I've made sure that the coil is tight (from coil to main unit) and haven't been able to determine what is causing 'the chirp'! Any similar experiences?

I'd hate to send the unit back to Garrett since that would probably be a couple weeks waiting...of course, that would give me time on the 505 I picked up as a BOGO...

try running your coil wire straight up the lower rod(insted of coiled) about 6 inches and see if that helps

The Ace 250 lags. That's one of it's minor cons. The AT Pro is really, really fast, it almost doesn't have any delay.

Is this was ACE 250 users are talking about, the time it takes for the "beep" to emit from the speaker when swinging?

I'm new to MDing and have only the ACE 250. I find I can swing it like a madman and it still alarms on a target. You have to switch to pinpoint after that to get ground zero but no biggie.

Maybe some previous versions of the ACE 250 didn't work so well?

Is this was ACE 250 users are talking about, the time it takes for the "beep" to emit from the speaker when swinging?

I'm new to MDing and have only the ACE 250. I find I can swing it like a madman and it still alarms on a target. You have to switch to pinpoint after that to get ground zero but no biggie.

Maybe some previous versions of the ACE 250 didn't work so well?

No, they all work the same.

By swinging too fast with ACE 250 you will hit one and then miss one right next to it because it has not had time to recover and signal the next target.

Working with slow swings and then checking the same area again to see what you might have missed will yield more targets.

For the money, the Ace 250 is a great entry detector. Mine has paid for itself nearly 3 times now, but I would be finding more without the lag.

I have been swinging the Garret AT Pro for a few weeks now and it is a very different machine from the Ace 250, no doubt about it. IMHO That is a good thing! I myself am still figuring out how to differentiate between the multiple tones produced in Pro Mode which is just awesome for determining what lay in the ground next to trash targets.

I have not had a chance to get it wet yet and probably won't, or atleast not in salt water, that is what my Sea Hunter Mark II is for. I would be interested to hear from fellow hunters who have used it in salt water environments and how it performed.

Gonna write a full review in a bit when I get very comfortable with the machine but so far, thumbs up!!!

What?

try running your coil wire straight up the lower rod(instead of coiled) about 6 inches and see if that helps
What logic is this based on...? I also have this false signaling, etc all over the place..WTH, this is A BRAND NEW MACHINE..supposed to be a good machine.what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
What logic is this based on...? I also have this false signaling, etc all over the place..WTH, this is A BRAND NEW MACHINE..supposed to be a good machine.what am I doing wrong?

The logic is the wire has metal in it. If the coil wire is not tight on the shaft and bouncing wildly, the coil will hit on it. Most users run the wire snugged onto the shaft about a foot or so straight up the shaft away from the coil, before circling the slack of the wire around the shaft to the brain.

A loose wire can and will make it false. As long as the slack is taken out it should be fine , but experiment with it. Another thing that will make it false is if the coil connector isn't fully seated and tightened. You don't need to really crank down on it but it should be fully seated and firmly snug ( finger tightened ).

Another possibility is EM interference , this is not falsing but can sound similar and cause it to go off all over. Sometimes this can be helped by adjusting the frequency to one of the other 3.....sometimes the EM interference is too bad and you have to put up with it or try another location.

Back
Top Bottom