Upgrade from AT PRO to Makro Racer?

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Yes, I am considering the Makro Racer.
It appears to be a quality machine from what I have seen, but just not enough input yet.
While I would like to hear from only those who had an AT PRO and now swing the Makro, I realize there are probably only a few of you.
General input from Makro users would be greatly appreciated.
I love my PRO and would never part with it, but I am wondering if the Makro will beat it on depth.
I understand the Racer is not "waterproof" but how about the depth?

Might want to see if you could borrow one prior to making that choice and make sure it fits your needs prior to buying. Sure are a lot of used ones for sale.

The racers extremely inaccurate and frequently gets identification numbers and tones wrong. It's not really a good machine for the states it was not designed for the US .

Please confirm that you had/have one.
I do not want to base my purchase on hearsay.
Thanks

I understand the info that that you are seeking.. But I'm not sure its out there yet.. Except a couple guys that, IMO, seem to be making positive posts as if they are getting incentives to make them...

Although if you do end up with one, I'm looking forward to YOUR comparisons more so than any others...

We both know the ATP is deeper... I found 2 golds and a silver at 5ft yesterday..;)

<*)))>{

Yes, I am considering the Makro Racer.
It appears to be a quality machine from what I have seen, but just not enough input yet.
While I would like to hear from only those who had an AT PRO and now swing the Makro, I realize there are probably only a few of you.
General input from Makro users would be greatly appreciated.
I love my PRO and would never part with it, but I am wondering if the Makro will beat it on depth.
I understand the Racer is not "waterproof" but how about the depth?

i have both and like both. i dont know if the racer is deeper,but its supposed to be better with the small coil in trash.i just got that coil and cant confirm yet.it does have a beach mode that is supposed to work good,again i dont know.i do know i will keep both,but i wouldnt say one is better than the other,sorry

My two cents!

I have had two AT Pros and I now have the racer. The Racer with small coil is probably the king right now when it comes to hunting in iron. When I say iron picture the machine gun sounds with multiple targets in the hole. These places exist. Cellar holes, burned down buildings come to mind. Another thing the Racer is good at is wet sand hunting. For a single frequency detector it does better than the AT Pro or any other single frequency machine I have used.

What the Racer is not good at is target ID. It lumps many targets into the 82 and 83 range. Not good if you are cherry picking on a nice lawn. But if you are in the woods or relic hunting ( digging conductive targets ) then there is no problem.

Depth? To be honest I don't think either detector is really a depth demon. I would say they are on par with each other.

The Racer is a detector that you take to the nastiest meanest iron infested places you have. The ones you ran from years ago because your detector was just over whelmed. Like I said it also does pretty good for a single frequency detector on the beach.

It is a tool for certain jobs.

My two cents!

I have had two AT Pros and I now have the racer. The Racer with small coil is probably the king right now when it comes to hunting in iron. When I say iron picture the machine gun sounds with multiple targets in the hole. These places exist. Cellar holes, burned down buildings come to mind. Another thing the Racer is good at is wet sand hunting. For a single frequency detector it does better than the AT Pro or any other single frequency machine I have used.

What the Racer is not good at is target ID. It lumps many targets into the 82 and 83 range. Not good if you are cherry picking on a nice lawn. But if you are in the woods or relic hunting ( digging conductive targets ) then there is no problem.

Depth? To be honest I don't think either detector is really a depth demon. I would say they are on par with each other.

The Racer is a detector that you take to the nastiest meanest iron infested places you have. The ones you ran from years ago because your detector was just over whelmed. Like I said it also does pretty good for a single frequency detector on the beach.

It is a tool for certain jobs.

This is a very accurate review.

They are about equal besides atp waterproof and racer faster recovery.

If I were you I'd keep the ATP and find a detector to complete it. Not the racer.

If you were someone looking for one or the other I would lean atp for parks and water and racer iron and relics.

This is a very accurate review.

They are about equal besides atp waterproof and racer faster recovery.

If I were you I'd keep the ATP and find a detector to complete it. Not the racer.

If you were someone looking for one or the other I would lean atp for parks and water and racer iron and relics.

Correct, I also must be the only person to hate the at pro. It just never worked for me either mine was broken or my soil was too much.

Get a Racer or a CoRe and you will not regret it. Either one will smoke about any detector in the amount of finds and except for a few experiences they are very accurate TID wise. These are superb audio machines that will outhunt what most people hunt with, no matter the cost. Lot's of misinformation by a lot of people who have never ran either. Great machines and superb coin finder btw.

I've owned both. I agree with the assessment that both are pretty equal as far as depth. I'd give the advantage to the Racer, with the small coil, in heavy iron sites. Although, If you swing the AT Pro with the 5x8 as slow as you have to swing the OOR on the Racer you get about the same results.

I wouldn't get a Racer to replace my AT Pro. Find a machine that will compliment the AT Pro instead. My deadly combination is the AT Pro and the E-Trac. The Deus is no slouch either but more expensive. Of course with the Deus you can just replace your other detectors.

In my opinion you won't gain enough to go Racer instead of AT Pro to make it worth while.

Here is a video I did using the small coil. I wasn't impressed. The small coil saw nothing.

For the OP.
To go At Pro to Racer what do you gain???
With the Racer with both stock and small coils you will gain separation. With the small coil you will gain a lot of separation.
Depth edge to Racer.
TID- used alone meter only AT Pro has the edge.
Using the meter and tone nuance Racer has the edge.

And of course you lose your waterproof advantage.

Personally it would be (waterproof aside) a slight upgrade. But you'd better have a shooter coil for your AT Pro. Me personally if I were upgrading I get something else; especially if my hunting was more towards coins vs relics.

And IMO a T-2 is not your answer either.
An f75LTD2 would be a upgrade (tones/backlight) T2 lacks plus F75 slightly deeper than T-2.

For open field relic hunting F75LTD2 is very good and quiet. It can be used for coins as well due to its tones.
I caution folks about doing slight upgrades. IMO money not well spent. I would recommend you keep what you have and when your finances allow take a bigger step up. And you should strongly consider keeping your AT Pro as a backup/water hunter/bad weather detector.

Thank you to everyone for your input.
At this point, I do not think that the Racer is "enough of an upgrade" to justify the cost.
More research as always...

Back
Top Bottom