• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

atpro snapped control box

skeeterbait

Elite Member
has this ever happened to anyone i just was cleaning it and woolaaaa the control box screws snapped now i just emailed garrett hope they can send a replacement asap

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,114
It just snapped? Wow! First one of those I ever saw. Maybe you need a torque driver.

It just snapped? Wow! First one of those I ever saw. Maybe you need a torque driver.

I would think you will have to send it in to get a new Housing , curious on this seems there could have be a possiable flaw in the Plastic housing for this to happen with just cleaning unless you were really pushing hard on the control Head :?:

You can see what looks to be air bubbles in the plastic. I'd guess that just pressing the buttons slowly caused the break. Sorry to hear that it snapped on you, hopefully they fix you up. Garrett is a pretty good company.

Wow, I'm guessing that it had hairline cracks for some time due to either a batch of bad molds, or a nasty bump that you may have not noticed, that finally let go.

please keep us informed on what Garrett does. they have an excellent track record for service... lets hope they keep it up.

I'm 99.99% sure Garrett will fix your AT Pro.

nuggetnoggin
I was Water Hunting and the plastic prongs hooked on my AT PRO control housing broke off with the bolts in them. So i had to mail my detector back to Garrett,but they fixed the problem asap.

Exact same thing happened to me sunday!

has this ever happened to anyone i just was cleaning it and woolaaaa the control box screws snapped now i just emailed garrett hope they can send a replacement asap

This JUST happened to me yesterday morning. In fact, I was going out early for a Father's Day hunt. I had laid it carefully in my trunk, and then when I picked it up, I felt this wobble, and then it just came off. I took it as an omen that I needed to go home and hang with my family. :)

But seriously, I just got off the phone with the good folks @ Garrett, and they issued me an RMA# to get it repaired. We'll see what they say. It's still covered by the warranty, but they sure asked a lot of questions that seemed to imply that they were concerned that I had somehow applied blunt force trauma to the unit. I can assure you (and them!) that I did not. I think you'd see a nice ding or scratch in the housing if I had.

Anyhow, we'll see what they say. But how freaky is it that these both happened on the same day. My photos look exactly the same. My first thought was that perhaps either the screws were too short, or had been torqued too tight.

[Edited to add photos of both the shaft side and the housing]

Good luck!
Rich

Attachments

• Cropped photo of Garret break - shaft.jpg
    Cropped photo of Garret break - shaft.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 970
  • Cropped photo of Garret break - housing.jpg
    Cropped photo of Garret break - housing.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 997
I only take mine off when flying but when I put them on I only lightly tighten mine. I just don't like metal screws into plastic, but so far no problems. Plus the way they match up when putting the cuff back on they do seat snug together. Odd for sure.

Ya could be a defect in the plastic or they just didnt make the plastic strong enough but mine just got sent out today shoukd arrive in texas by Thursday then will c how long she takes to get back here !!! Good customer service at garrett though!

I only take mine off when flying but when I put them on I only lightly tighten mine. I just don't like metal screws into plastic, but so far no problems. Plus the way they match up when putting the cuff back on they do seat snug together. Odd for sure.

Also, I've never removed the head unit from the shaft, so it's not from any sort of strain from that activity, or improper tightening of the screws. Just a bummer. But they should be receiving my unit on Wed. Hopefully I'll hear something shortly thereafter.

Thx
Rich

What makes me concerned is that even the screws are snapped :?: I could understand the plastic mold but the screws too:?: wonder if this is goin to become a known issue.

What makes me concerned is that even the screws are snapped :?: I could understand the plastic mold but the screws too:?: wonder if this is goin to become a known issue.

Oh snap!!!:shock:

I'm no engineer, but if it was the "plastic" fatiguing there would be stress cracks. If I had any $ to bet, it would be that the screws gave out.

By looking at both sets of photos, it appears that the screws have "bottomed out" in their holes and this created fatigue in the plastic close to that point, A screw 1/8" shorter would have solved the problem but the units out there already may have issues in the future.
I am thinking of putting a couple shorter screw in one of my units.

Good point Choppa!

Maybe a couple of small washers on each screw would do the same as well...

<*)))>{

Good news: got mine back today. Talk about service; that was 7 calendar days from when I shipped to when I got it back! Yes, I live in TX, but I thought that was still pretty darn phenomenal!

Better news: it's fixed! Does not look like they replaced the entire shell. But the part that broke is replaced, and looks like they fixed the speaker (I was just starting to have the issue some others mentioned, but did not mention it when I sent it in). So they obviously gave it a pretty thorough inspection. I think they may have replaced the headphone and coil connectors, too. The packing list was supposed to be 2 pages, but I only got one, so don't know everything that was done. I may call to get the full rundown. FYI, the screws they shipped with it were the same length as the original ones. Oh, and they put new batteries in there, too. :)

All at no charge. I'm a happy camper. That's excellent service.

Thanks,
Rich

Ya a++++++++ for Garrett awesome turn around got my adaptor for my grey ghosts replaced and the housing looks new wow im impressed Garrett has a fast turnaround less then a week from the time they got it awesome awesome awesome

Back
Top Bottom