I stumped Google!

Yep, I don't know about the current generation of these fuses but the ones they were using before I retired actually had a load of gun powder in them to assure that the fuse would open completely rather than sit there and arc.

I was never a lineman, but did work closely with them. I never knew a lineman who would have taken kindly to be called an electrician, especially a sloppy one....:laughing:
Electrical outages usually occur during weather conditions that are much less than favorable. If you have ever climbed a wet, ice coated distribution pole in a blowing sleet storm you might understand how a worker might accidently drop something occasionally. :laughing:

If the transformer itself actually "blew" there would likely be much more than just fuse parts scattered about.

I had the exciting pleasure of being within 50 yards of a transformer when it blew :wow: Scared the heck out of me. I was standing there watching it smoking and arcing then BOOM!!:shock: Fire sparks and burning oil. I was young and dumb. Since then I have seen several go but always from a greater distance. Looking back on some of the stupid things I have done it amazes me that i'm not dead.

I had the exciting pleasure of being within 50 yards of a transformer when it blew :wow: Scared the heck out of me. I was standing there watching it smoking and arcing then BOOM!!:shock: Fire sparks and burning oil. I was young and dumb. Since then I have seen several go but always from a greater distance. Looking back on some of the stupid things I have done it amazes me that i'm not dead.

Had a windstorm a few years back and I just happened to be looking out the front window of the house at the time. Saw a transformer directly across the street start arcing then it went off. I think I needed to get some clean underwear after that.

Back
Top Bottom