Recycling beach junk.

Canerat

Elite Member
I don't know if these fishing net floats wash up on your beaches in the USA, but here in Asia they are all over the beaches! Literally thousands wash up on the beaches, a few different shapes, all good for what I use them for. This Idea only clicked a few days ago, as I'm sick of paying $20 plus for lures, and can't find what I'm looking for. The ones I like are about $60.These lures cost about 30 cents or less, and I can make exactly what I want. Here's a pic of my first three. I just used stuff I had lying around the house to make them. Next lot will look better but it doesn't really matter what they look like as long as the action is right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 259
Those look really nice! Great work!! I made a lure out of a piece of an old metal watch band many years ago and used it to catch a bunch of speckled trout. It was really simple, I just attached a treble hook on one side and wire leader on the other.

As a kid, I once made a fishing lure out of those silver icicles you put on Christmas trees. I never got to use it so I can't tell you if it worked. It seemed great in theory to me though.

:laughing: You gotta love it! I remember now!...It was in the Spring of 1975, I skipped out of High school oneday...I am not sure why, besides the fact that I hated school, it was just so beautiful outside I had to do it! I found myself down at the Waterville Dam on the Maumee river near Toledo......Below which was all sorts of discarded debris and whatnot...While dinking around, I found a hook and some line, made myself a spinner out of some foil and a pulltab, a pole out of a willow branch, and commenced to slaying the White Bass!

Thinking back, that was one of the greatest fishing trips I've ever had!...At that moment, I knew whatever else happened to me, If it came to it, If a guy can make his own lures and figure out a way to catch a fish, he might not need an 'education' to get by in this World afterall!.

My baby Sister squealed on me though!...so another lesson learned..pay a bribe, or threaten injury..its all good...FWIW, my old man caught a nice big Northern a month ago off a lure I made for him out of a scrap of brass...So I love what you did there Caney, and remain a huge Fan of yours!:laughing:
Mud.

Nice work there!

Growing up on the beach here I made a lot of lures as a kid out of stuff I found on the beach. Found a book in the local library when I was about 7 or 8 that showed how to do it.

Not having the financial resources for five dollar Rebels, Kastmasters, Creek Chubs or Striper Swipers I was forced to get creative just as you have.

Made a killer lure for small "tinker" blue fish using a 3 inch section of a clear Bic pen and a little bit of buck tail, looked just like a large tasty shiner minnow!

Back
Top Bottom