Gold metal detectors

Rammjäger

Elite Member
I am interested in buying an AT Pro Gold for finding nuggets.
Looking for info I came into this Youtube video comparing the AT Pro
with another unknown gold seeking machine . Unfortunately I could barely understand
what this australian detectorist was saying :roll:.Very interesting video though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HRyamMs-KI
both detectors seem to be pretty close in performance. I like better AT Pro's
display with more info about the signal . Price comparison has to be also considered etc.

Hi Rammjager.

In that video Pete is comparing an EDS Winner with a pre-set ground balance - to a Garrett AT Gold. Not to be confused with the AT Pro. The AT Pro isn't much good, actually quite useless, on the ground in that video. It's filmed in the Victorian Goldfields Australia and the ground is highly mineralized.
I've used both the At Gold and Pro and EDS Winner and EDS Plus with manual balance on that exact ground, about 200 metres away, and the EDS's beat the both the Garrett's hands down for ground handling ability and depth on both small and large gold nuggets and specimens. Even on quiet ground the EDS's kill the Garrett's and are much more sensitive, pushing out a larger amount of sensitivity while remaining stable.. However the EDS Plus has a wandering balance, it's only downfall.

Never mind the Display, you don't need them detecting for gold. More than once I've seen an AT Gold iron grunt on gold, ...

How mineralized is the ground you'll mainly be detecting???

Hi Rammjager.

In that video Pete is comparing an EDS Winner with a pre-set ground balance - to a Garrett AT Gold. Not to be confused with the AT Pro. The AT Pro isn't much good, actually quite useless, on the ground in that video. It's filmed in the Victorian Goldfields Australia and the ground is highly mineralized.
I've used both the At Gold and Pro and EDS Winner and EDS Plus with manual balance on that exact ground, about 200 metres away, and the EDS's beat the both the Garrett's hands down for ground handling ability and depth on both small and large gold nuggets and specimens. Even on quiet ground the EDS's kill the Garrett's and are much more sensitive, pushing out a larger amount of sensitivity while remaining stable.. However the EDS Plus has a wandering balance, it's only downfall.

Never mind the Display, you don't need them detecting for gold. More than once I've seen an AT Gold iron grunt on gold, ...

How mineralized is the ground you'll mainly be detecting???

Thank you very much for this accurate info!
I will give it a try for gold nuggets at a river that comes from the gold mines north in my homeland in SouthAmerica.I really don't know how mineralized the ground is in that part of my country but surely not so high mineralized as it is in Australia.Perhaps even low to mid mineralized.
For what I have seen in photos the color of the ground is still normal black,
not reddish.
Are these EDS good only for gold prospecting or are they also for relic hunting too?.
THANK YOU for the info! and HH.

Id love to detect in South America ! From what I've heard from a couple of guys that gold detect in Brazil is that the ground is fairly mild with the odd pockets of hotter ground, so a VLF should run well there.

The EDS are a good all-round prospecting and relic unit. Both the pre-set balance Winner (now updated and called the Reacher ) and the manual ground balanced EDS Plus. Both have discrimination, and it's a pretty good disc too. But they do feel very cheaply made, and I worry that the Plus with a push-dial to activate ground balance will eventually cause a problem with breakdown of the unit. And the balance tends to wander. But it can be used in a pre-set balance mode with the disc set low and no threshold like the Winner and they both punch much deeper than the Garrett's and handle harsher ground and will hit small gold.
They have a great range of coils, SEF 8"x6"to 12"x12" and a large elliptical plus round coils. Easily the best Euro unit I've owned and used.
The EDS company have bought out a new gold detector called the Gold Catcher, running in 28kHz and pushes out an amazing amount of gain while remaining stable too, just Google eds gold catcher' and you can see one on utube as well. They are mounted on a straight shaft like a GPX and have a metal box. They are modeled on the earlier Desert Gold detector.
But they have a wandering balance too which can be a pain due to the control being under the armrest and not in front of your finger like the Plus., but can be used in fixed balance.

Your Cibola is no slouch for gold detecting either. You'll be surprised how good it is on gold, even on mid-mineralized ground and with it's fixed ground balance.
I've quite often used a Cibola and Vaquero in the goldfields and even the older Eldorado umax with good success. And find them every bit as good, if not better, than the AT Gold.

Good luck mate..

I should probably mention too Rammjager, that the XTerra 705 and it's coil choices are easily the best all-round prospecting , relic and coin machine you can buy....

Your Cibola is no slouch for gold detecting either. You'll be surprised how good it is on gold, even on mid-mineralized ground and with it's fixed ground balance.
I've quite often used a Cibola and Vaquero in the goldfields and even the older Eldorado umax with good success. And find them every bit as good, if not better, than the AT Gold.

Good luck mate..

Thanks mate,
coincidentally I was testing my Cibola on a tiny target and was very impressed
with the results :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k63rW6iO-rU

Gold was found north of my homeland near the border with Brasil.

Nice little clip!!!

Very small piece of gold too..... You gotta love that Cibola sound.

I was going to suggest the Lobo, it is probably the best machine for gold short of going with a pulse induction minelab machine.

I bought the Xterra 505 without "prospecting mode" because I already have the Lobo supertraq.

Though I don't prospect very much due to my location, the Lobo is definitely the one I would use for finding the small stuff.

In the past I have been able to find quartz and pegmatite veins with the Lobo just by listening to the threshold disappear.
It is a pretty sensitive, fast analog machine.

Back
Top Bottom