E-trac rechargeable battery pack not holding as good of charge

Bonesquat

Elite Member
I've had my E-trac since 2011 and the battery is starting to weaken. I thought about pulling out the old cells and using regular rechargeable AA batteries. I figured the charger would still charge any old regular lithium battery. Has anyone tried this yet? I know I can use the alternate backup pack and just recharge batteries in it - but then I have to take them out each time and my charger only supports 4 AA at a time.

I got one of the RNB battery packs and it will power my Safari for close to thirty hours on one charge and charges up fast. Etrac users get the same performance, and these are great batteries, highly recommended.

I've had my E-trac since 2011 and the battery is starting to weaken. I thought about pulling out the old cells and using regular rechargeable AA batteries. I figured the charger would still charge any old regular lithium battery. Has anyone tried this yet? I know I can use the alternate backup pack and just recharge batteries in it - but then I have to take them out each time and my charger only supports 4 AA at a time.

there is a great deal on a RnB pack in the classifieds.

If you pull the cells out you'll likely need to do some soldier work on replacement ones. It can be done but you might need flat sided cells to work with.

Take it to a Batteries Plus or an Interstate Batteries. They can rebuild it with some batteries with more mah (2500 or more) at a reasonable price.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check out RNB, or maybe the battery store. I can't imagine 30 hours on a charge! I get at best, 5.

Take it to a Batteries Plus or an Interstate Batteries. They can rebuild it with some batteries with more mah (2500 or more) at a reasonable price.

Jeff

That's a good idea. Mine pooped out on me relatively quickly, and I don't want to spend $70 to replace it with the same thing. I'll swing by Interstate and see what they say.

the new RnB batteries are now 3100 mah and last me 40 hours on my Etrac and recharges in two hours

Yeah, I got the 2900 just before they came out with the 3100, but 30+ hours is still great, but 40 is fantastic!! I think the cost is well worth it since it sure is nice to get so many hunts in without worrying about low batteries. The RNBs also charge right up when only partially down, mine had ten hours on it and came back to full charge in less than a half hour!!

I just got mine back from Interstate. $40 rebuilt with 2500 mah. I hope it lasts longer than the original. I still might invest in an rnb, too. They sound pretty good.

A no brainer get the 3100 RNB and never look back. You can leave your backlight on for better viewing. Hunt away. If you can wear one of the 3100 RNB's down on one hunt, you might want to consider the Olympics. LOL

The original is nickel metal hydride, NiMH. The RnB is Lithium Ion. Huge difference! NiMH isn't as durable and won't hold a charge on a shelf. Most AA rechargeable are NiMH. Most cell phone, video camera, hybrid car batteries etc are Lithium Ion.

Batterys

The RNB's were on sale awhile back and I missed out on purchasing a set,Seems one could build a set like the RNB's and have a nice battery pack for the Minelabs?Does anyone know what kind is in the RNB's

The RNB's were on sale awhile back and I missed out on purchasing a set,Seems one could build a set like the RNB's and have a nice battery pack for the Minelabs?Does anyone know what kind is in the RNB's

Yeah, I bet you could find some lithium-ion cells to put in it, and still match the same voltage. As for a charger, I think you would have to find a matching transformer and wire the old connector to it. The original charger is only 100ma. You might need a charger with an overcharging preventive mechanism in it.

Back
Top Bottom