Lost airman's gold

canadianguy

So I went out to the old airbase today looking for a couple more silver coins to add to my total for the year. The site I have been hitting was the sports field for the air crews that were training to fly for WWII. All the coins that I have been finding there have been pre 1945 so it's a great place to hunt for the older stuff. I always thought that there should be some gold on the site but dismissed it as finding a needle in a haystack plus the site has been hunted for years by other metal detectors.
Well today the CTX really paid off. Picked up a non-iron signal that looked interesting and at about 8 inches down out popped this nice old 14K ring. It weighs in at 5.83g. It's too bad that it does not fit because for me it has way too much history to melt. The guy who lost this was likely flying over Germany a few months later and a lot of those boys never made it home.

Attachments

• airmans ring.jpg
    airmans ring.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 324
What an awesome find! Gold is always good, but knowing it was probably owned by a WWII pilot makes it more special. I'd keep it anyway, even if it doesn't fit. Good luck on future hunts. : )

Great ring! I too am currently detecting an old airfield from that era. Just never know what you'll find.

Back
Top Bottom